Mycloud IP changes after power blink

Hi,

Mac OS X 10.9.4

Airport Extreme 6.3.2

WD MyCloud 2TB

v04.00.00-607

After purchasing my first NAS and then comming here to read all the horror stories I wondered if I made the right choice.

I have owned MyCloud 2TB for just a few weeks now, but I must say that I’m very impressed so far.

Right from the start everything just seems to work.

Today we had a power blink for a second and afterwards I received a email about WD Mycloud system restarting.

I go to the IP address with my browser to see if all is ok with MyCloud and can’t connect to it.

Come to find out the MyCloud IP got changed after the power blink. I enter the new IP address into my browser and once again connect to MyCloud just fine.

What is the best solution to keep the IP from changing durring a power blink or full power outage?

Thanks,

appliancejunk wrote:

Hi,

Mac OS X 10.9.4

Airport Extreme 6.3.2

WD MyCloud 2TB

v04.00.00-607

After purchasing my first NAS and then comming here to read all the horror stories I wondered if I made the right choice.

I have owned MyCloud 2TB for just a few weeks now, but I must say that I’m very impressed so far.

Right from the start everything just seems to work.

Today we had a power blink for a second and afterwards I received a email about WD Mycloud system restarting.

I go to the IP address with my browser to see if all is ok with MyCloud and can’t connect to it.

Come to find out the MyCloud IP got changed after the power blink. I enter the new IP address into my browser and once again connect to MyCloud just fine.

What is the best solution to keep the IP from changing durring a power blink or full power outage?

Thanks,

Either define a static IP on the My Cloud outside of your router’s DHCP range, or have your router assign a “Static DHCP” address to the My Cloud.

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Could you give me more details on how I define a static IP on the My Cloud outside of my router’s DHCP range?

How do I go about finding out what my routers DHCP range is?

I aslo don’t know how to go about having my router assign a “Static DHCP” address to the My Cloud.

Any additional information on how to do what you suggested would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks,

I found my DHCP range using Airport Utilitys. :smiley:

The IP address MyCloud was using seem to already be outside my routers DCHP range so I just went ahead and used that IP address for the static IP setting along with what Airport Utility said was my Netmask.

Thinking I did it correctly as everything still works. :slight_smile:

Is there any advatage of one over the other as far as define a static IP on the My Cloud outside of your router’s DHCP range vs having my router assign a “Static DHCP”?

As you can probably tell I don’t really know anything about networking.

Thanks for your help.