MYCloud Home is slowly blinking white for several days

MYCloud Home is slowly blinking white for several days, has at least 1 TB of data, I tried changing ethernet, and switched it on and off multiple times, should I do a factory RESET? Any hope for my data ?

The answer is readily available from the WD knowledge base for example. It could be as simple as something changed with the router or router setting or your ISP blocking ports. It could also genuinely be hardware problem with the MCH, but only you would know the state and age of your MCH and how it has been running. Troubleshoot the router first then try to download a debug_logs.tar from the MCH and file a support ticket with WD.

My Cloud Home Device Offline Guided Assist

Image Welcome to the My Cloud Home Device Offline Guided Assist

A My Cloud Home will display as Device Offline under the following conditions:

• Blocked by Router DNS ReBinding, Firewall or Parental Controls.
  • Blocked by computer firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, internet security or End Point Protection software.
  • Not connected to a network router with internet access.
  • Not receiving an IP Address from the router.
  • LED is Blinking fast or slow.
  • LED never blinks and remains solid white after power is applied.
  • Disconnected or faulty ethernet cable.
  • Internal drive has errors or failed.
  • Filesystem or data corruption.
  • Connected directly to a computers USB or Ethernet Port .
  • Connected directly to the Internet Access Point without a router.

User Manual

if it is a router/network issue, wont local access be available ? I cannot find the MCH in my network at all. is there a way to directly connect the MCH to a computer and try to access the data using the USB port ? Any help here would be appreciated

No mention of local access in the original 2 line description - maybe a little too much was expected. The problem with open forums such as this is that nobody really knows how much or how little you know about TPC/IP networks and how much help you are asking with a 2 line description.

If the DHCP in your router is missing and/or the MCH is not connected to the router through ethernet and possibly one or more switches, then you can’t see it on the network and the white LED will blink.

If you can supply a DHCP server through a PC or mac, then yes you can do a direct connection and get to the MCH- but that is not something WD support will tell you because they don’t know the details or expect a home user will be able to do it. Search for ‘ICS’ in this subforum.

The only authorized way to use the USB port on the MCH to access data is with the normal method of the WD Webapp (browser). The exception is unless you could successfully boot up with a Russian hacked boot image. That is also something nobody expects a home user could or would follow. Search for ‘install usb disk debian’ in this subforum.

MCH is connected to the router using ethernet, I had a switch earlier, but then I disconnected the switch and tried to connect MCH to the router directly, even then it does not work.

I already have data on MCH, would a reset (via the button on the back of the device) remove all data ? should I even try that ?

The reset pin is also very well documented and easily found in the WD Knowledge base.

But the major problem when home users go to troubleshoot their MCH on their own is without paying attention to the one thing that affects their network the most, and that is their router. So it begs the question why? Are they so sure that nothing has changed with their router or ISP service? The answer has been given in the first reply.

Web access is turned off since June 15th if the device is not up to date.

See: WDC-23009 Western Digital My Cloud OS 5, My Cloud Home and SanDisk ibi Firmware Update | Western Digital

My mch was offline since end of May …I am going to try ics method…hope it works

1 Like

ICS also did not work, MCH is not showing up on the routers device ip list at all, it seems it is not communicating with the router at all. I tried moving to a different network, and still it did not work.

SO I guess the device is Toast, any recommendations on data recovery ?

Please check the options for warranty service (if any) and data recovery. You have never indicated how many years the MCH has been in service, but you can always check online the warranty available by entering the serial number.

You are doing it wrong. You won’t be able to see the MCH ip on the router if you use ICS.

The ‘trick’ about ICS DHCP is that any device without a static address such as the MCH will eventually tries to get an IP address and the user should keep running the command line ‘arp’ command (Windows key + R, then type ‘cmd’ to get to the command line terminal) to check if it shows up. You run this on the desktop/laptop that is running the ICS, directly to the MCH:

arp -a

the IP may not show up the instant one enables ICS, but sometime it could take a few minutes depending on how slow it is booting up. It may also help if the MCH ethernet is plugged/unplugged cycle or even power down and restart the MCH to try to get it to see the DHCP server. The user could also issue the command to search for the mac address of the MCH (printed on the bottom), for example here, if the last few digits of the mac address is ‘ab-cd’ then one would issue:

arp -a | find "ab-cd"