MyCloud EX2 automatic firmware update = permanent Safe Mode

Hi all

I too am in the same situation

* Asked to update firmware

* Dashboard informing my that drive is in safe mode

* Tried uploading firmware manually and dashboard “uploading” star icon just spinning

* No phone support in the UK on weekends, so I’ve emailed in

However, I would like to ask if others were having the same issue with the drive updating its firmware on seemingly a daily basis.  For the past couple of weeks I would get three emails at approx 3am saying 

Email 1 - Downloading firmware

Email 2 - Installing firmware

Email 3 - Firmware update successful

From looking at the emails in more depth it seems that it was for firmware version 1.04.04

I hope that this can be fixed without losing the data !!

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue

1 Like

The advantage of android, or only linux basted distro, is that you can access they EX2 by the preferred method of http://wdmycloudex2 instead of by IP.  The issue is then if this safe mode recovery page is actually functional.  For those of us that have had to go the RMA route it is not, the EX2 won’t allow for the firmware to be uploaded.  That safe mode page just gives the false impression that the situation is correctable.

Sal_O wrote:

The advantage of android, or only linux basted distro, is that you can access they EX2 by the preferred method of http://wdmycloudex2 instead of by IP.  The issue is then if this safe mode recovery page is actually functional.  For those of us that have had to go the RMA route it is not, the EX2 won’t allow for the firmware to be uploaded.  That safe mode page just gives the false impression that the situation is correctable.

http://wdmycloudex2 does not work for me under Linux Ubuntu (except if I setup /etc/hosts).

pmckay wrote:

Hi Paulee… did you call them?  I was able to talk to someone in level1 in 3 minutes.  Level 2 took a little longer, but not much.  2 days is too long to be without your drive!

so far just -mail to wd i dont mind the wait so much aslong as it gets fixed. i see many people gathering on here now i guess they are fairly busy sorting this problem .

Dear All,

I was able to fix the issue on my side as well using the Android upload!

Using HTC One M8 to upload the file, I had the possibility to choose between “Normal Android Way (MMS Gmail)” and " File Way (if fails)" - Using the 'Normal Android Way" worked for me.

In Summary, there is an issue with the Firmware update, and with the “Safe Mode” screen. Uploading method can change the result:

• Ubuntu 12.04 - Firefox: Fails
  • Ubuntu 12.04 - Chromium: Fails
  • HTC One M8 - Chrome: Fails
  • HTC One M8 - Default Internt Browser: “File Way” upload: Fails
  • HTC One M8 - Default Internt Browser: “Normal Android Way” upload: Works! (accessed using IP address)

I’m searching on the web to understand the difference between “Android way” and “File way”. But no success so far.

I hope this will help you!

NOTE: I’ve disabled the automatic firmware update. :smiley:

Let me just add my small data point just for informational uses.

I have had the EX2 for 5 months now and never had the auto-update on, except maybe the first couple weeks. I prefer to always do the manual update. And this time, like all other times, I used Chrome on Windows and the firmware upgrade worked without a hitch. But then again, it was working normally when I upgraded…it wasn’t hosed or anything. I don’t think under normal conditions the choice of browser matters during manual upgrade…it seems to be making a difference only when the EX2 is hosed during upgrade.

I will say that the best chance to re-apply the firmware when stuck in safe mode is via android uploading the bin file through Google Drive.  I can tell mine actually tries, the power LED turns solid blue instead of flashing red.  It still fails eventually so I am positive my EX2 is bricked so will have to wait on the RMA, though I am tempted just to go out and get a diskless EX2 so I can be back up and running sooner than later.

Hi guys,

Just for information, seems that WD stepped back, because my admin dashboard shows 1.04.04 firmware with the ok mark instead of the warning mark.

I will keep it that way until this problem be solved. Also because I am not affected by any of the issues solved:

• Resolved issue of data transfer interruption when copying files between the unit and an 

attached USB drive.

• Resolved issue of .smi subtitle files are not displayed when streaming videos to LG®

Smart TVs.

I hope they find a solution soon. 

Best regards,

Britomania

Yo tengo el mismo problema, he probado cargar My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin desde google chrome, firefox, y ie desde la ip del nas, y todas quedo en bucle. Tambien probe movil htc one con explarador por defecto y por chrome y tengo el mismo resultado de que se queda en bucle, con movil iphone no deja selecionar archivos.

Luego probe a cargar My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.deb por el puerto usb1 y parecia funcionar se encendian luces verdes y azules parpadeantes luego dejo de funcionar, luces rojas y azules parpadeantes.

Quiero una solucion ya, me gaste 500 euros en un aparato mediocre, estoy muy muy enfadado con wester.

I have the same problem, I have tried to load My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin from google chrome, firefox, and ie from the nas ip and all stay in the loop. Also one with htc mobile probe explarador default and chrome and got the same result that is looping with iphone mobile leaves selecionar files.
Then refresh My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.deb probe by the port and seemed to work usb1 flashing green and blue lights flashing then stopped working, red and blue lights were lit.

I want a solution and I spent $ 500 on a mediocre product, I am very very angry with wester.

sinlios wrote:

I want a solution and I spent $ 500 on a mediocre product, I am very very angry with wester.

Sinlios, I would recommend you try working with WD’s tech support instead of trying some of these fixes. If their assistance doesn’t help, they will set up an RMA for you.

mcglnx wrote:> I was able to fix the issue on my side as well using the Android upload!

Using HTC One M8 to upload the file, I had the possibility to choose between “Normal Android Way (MMS Gmail)” and " File Way (if fails)" - Using the 'Normal Android Way" worked for me.

One possible reason is a bad HTML input file type tag missing enctype “multipart/form-data” (from the upload form)

This is highly hypothetical, but it is the best reason I could figure out.

Some good news!

WHAT FAILED:

To summarize:

I was unable to install the firmware patch manually on my windows 8 system, using either Chrome or IE.

Equally unable to install the patch using Chrome on my Android based Nexus 5 or Nexus 7.

WHAT WORKED:

Then I tried a macbook pro, running Chrome.  Nope.

Then, firefox on the macbook, nope again.

Then curiousity bit me and I turned debugging on in firefox on the macbook, restarted the manual upload and it showed percentage numbers… but it failed.  The light was actually a very pretty yellow, instead of the ugly red I’d been looking at.  That there was any change at all was encouraging,

So I did it again.

And Voilla!   Blue lights!

all my data is intact (I did need to turn on iscsi which got turned off)

It’s been up for around 30 minutes now, and doing something to my disks (verifying data maybe?)… but I am whole again.

Good Luck Everyone!

Pete

1 Like

Hello Pete,

For me it worked like a charm. :smiley:

Thanks for your post, i have made this work on an iMac, i think that the using a “Mac” is suficient… :smiley:

The Firefox and activate the Debbuger work just fine.

Regards

Nuno

P.S - The light of the disks are blinking Blue simultanious, i guess it´s veryfing the data, just like you told Pete. :wink:

Hi Nuno,

AWESOME NEWS!  I am so glad to hear it.  Congratulations!

I tried mac only, with firefox, and it only worked when we turned on debugging.

I don’t know why it would make any difference at all - and I’d love to know if firefox+debugging worked on a windows system, same for chrome+debugging… but I (thankfully) have no way to reproduce the failed environment. (I might be foolish enough to try it if I did).

thanks for letting me know,

Pete

:smiley:

Hi there Pete,

I have trying in this past wekeend to test some ways to install manually the firmware, try even also the USB mode and with no results.

I guess if we turn on the debbuger, some privileges of somehow administrator mode has pushed the firmware to upload and make the installation to a 100% completation. (Guessing)…

I have used the firefox to make the installation, don´t know if with chrome or even with safari it also works…

Regards

Nuno

P.S - Don´t you think that it will be best to put some new post on the main forum of EX2? like “Solution to the Red Lightsof firmware 1.04.05” :slight_smile:

P.S 2 - Go to the part of Debugger Settings " https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger "

1 Like

NunoAlves wrote:

P.S - Don´t you think that it will be best to put some new post on the main forum of EX2? like “Solution to the Red Lightsof firmware 1.04.05” :slight_smile:

P.S 2 - Go to the part of Debugger Settings " https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger"

Actually, it’s best to keep using this thread to post anyone’s successful workarounds because this thread has become the de facto thread for various folks reporting their different fixes. Trying to start a new thread at this point will cause more confusion than help other community members.

BTW, that link to debugger docs doesn’t work.

Hello Cybernut1,

I have upload the link again, and this time worked…

I think that you are right using this post also for the solution…

Regards

Nuno

Hola queria saber que has echo concretamente con firefox debugger, yo he ido alli, tengo la mitad inferior con el debugger cargo la web del nas y le cargo el bin pero sigue igual no marca porcentaje.

pd: quitando la visualizacion de imagenes se ve puro html, y cargo el archivo arriba pone 0% despues de darle aplicar sale 500 - internal server error, asi que imagino que hay algun problema de construccion con la web interna que maneja el router si supieramos cual linea esta mal… se solucionaria… creo

------ 

Hello wanted to know what you done specifically with debugger firefox, I’ve been there, I have the bottom half with the debugger over the nas website and will charge the bin but still the same no percentage mark.

pd: removing the image viewing is pure html, and post the file up then 0% after giving applying out 500 - internal server error, so I guess there is problem of building some with internal web handling the router if we knew which line is wrong … it would be solved … I think

sinlios wrote:

Hola queria saber que has echo concretamente con firefox debugger, yo he ido alli, tengo la mitad inferior con el debugger cargo la web del nas y le cargo el bin pero sigue igual no marca porcentaje.

pd: quitando la visualizacion de imagenes se ve puro html, y cargo el archivo arriba pone 0% despues de darle aplicar sale 500 - internal server error, asi que imagino que hay algun problema de construccion con la web interna que maneja el router si supieramos cual linea esta mal… se solucionaria… creo

------ 

Hello wanted to know what you done specifically with debugger firefox, I’ve been there, I have the bottom half with the debugger over the nas website and will charge the bin but still the same no percentage mark.

pd: removing the image viewing is pure html, and post the file up then 0% after giving applying out 500 - internal server error, so I guess there is problem of building some with internal web handling the router if we knew which line is wrong … it would be solved … I think

Hey buddy - this is the English forum. No need for another language here - please just post your comments in English.

Also, I take it that you are from a non-English-speaking country and perhaps your English isn’t good - but it is hard to understand some of what you are saying. I understood your first paragraph despite some English issues in it…but your 2nd paragraph is incomprehensible. Perhaps you can have a friend who speaks English translate it a bit better for you before you post here? Most people in this thread seem to be happy to help each other given that they all find themselves in the same situation - but if they cannot even understand what you are saying, they might just ignore your post, no matter how much they want to help you.

Hi all,

I tried it on Windows 7 + Firefox 31, but it did not work. I activated debugger mode, debugger showed in the bottom half of the Firefox window, tried to upload firmware, but no percentage showed up. Am I doing something wrong? Tried somebody doing this on Windows, or it is working only on Mac?

Martin