MyCloud EX2 automatic firmware update = permanent Safe Mode

virtale wrote:

I downloaded the latest firmware to my smartphone (Android based) and tried the safe mode upload with the chrome (beta) browser. And guess what, it worked. The “star like” circle startet to count from 0 to 100 and after a reboot, the firmware was updated und the EX2 up again.

Problem solved here with your method!

I disconnected the EX2 power and connect it after some ten seconds.**

Downloaded the firmware 1.04.05 to the PC desktop, unzip it to the desktop and uploaded the unzipped file to Google Drive.

Next on a Nexus7 I used Chrome to access the EX2 (IP is always the same because is assigned as permanent on router).

Then choose the unziped file on Google Drive and upload starts normaly, the percentage increases and leds flash changes.

Finally I could see the EX2 normal dashboard again and checked the RAID and all files are OK. Thanks!

**(before, when I tested other solutions, also performed a reset to the unit but I do not know if it was necessary to do it)

Glad to hear it… I tried the exact same procedure, including using the nexus7… and nuttin.

I didn’t do the reset though.

I don’t ever see the percentage inside the spinner.  Just waiting for 11am EST to talk to level 2.

It appears that in order to install the firmware and get out of safe mode is the need to access your MyCloud EX2 by name and not IP.  My Windows 8 PC’s can’t get to my now hosed EX2, will be sure to turn off automatic firmware updates if this ever gets fixed, by name and so no surprise I can’t apply the firmware at the safe mode web page.  I see that users have had success uploading the firmware under safe mode via Android, checked on my old work provided Galaxy S2 and yes it can get to my EX2 by name.  So that must be the reason, too bad my GS2 can’t display the safe mode web page correctly, can’t see the upload file section.  I wonder if a linux Live CD would work.

Nope no go, I tried an Ubuntu Live CD and I can get to wdmycloudex2 by name but it won’t receive the firmware upload.  Looks like it is dead until WD comes up with a fix.

mine is on the way back to WD, per level 2

After over two plus hours on the phone, disconnected whenever they tried to send me to Level 2, I’m going the advanced RMA route.  Hopefully I can pop my drives into the new one and not lose anything, was relying on this EX2 as I made the mistake of feeling good about since it is raided, didn’t expect the entire unit to fail.

They did walk me through a USB method of installing the firmware but it didn’t work for me, actually I never notice the USB stick ever being accessed.   Turn off auto update firmware, lesson learned the hard way,

Sal_O wrote:

After over two plus hours on the phone, disconnected whenever they tried to send me to Level 2, I’m going the advanced RMA route.  Hopefully I can pop my drives into the new one and not lose anything, was relying on this EX2 as I made the mistake of feeling good about since it is raided, didn’t expect the entire unit to fail.

They did walk me through a USB method of installing the firmware but it didn’t work for me, actually I never notice the USB stick ever being accessed.   Turn off auto update firmware, lesson learned the hard way,

Yep, I was feeling safe and confident about the drives too, not thinking about the unit failing either.  I was told by WD support that the data on the drives would be fine.  He did tell me to take the drive that is in bay 1 and put it in bay 1 in the new unit.  And consequently bay 2 drive into bay 2.  When a meassage comes up just select “accept” or “OK” or what ever and everthing should be as it was before.

Same problem with firmware update 1.04.05 since today morning. WD should have warned the EX2 users by today NOT to upgrade to this version as it seems to be faulty. Now my EX2 is bricked too. :frowning:

I tried to manually upgrade to 1.04.05 through the Safe mode screen, but it didn’t work, the spinner spins eternally like for others. Then I tried firmware 1.04.04, but it’s the same.

I’ll wait for other responses before contacting WD support - maybe someone comes up with a reliable solution in the coming days.

Hi vdavid,

I would definitely call support and go through the process.  I’m sure you’ll be back in service faster AND it will help make WD understand the extent of the firmware problem. 

on my second day still no reply from wd support   :(  i miss my ex2

Hi Paulee… did you call them?  I was able to talk to someone in level1 in 3 minutes.  Level 2 took a little longer, but not much.  2 days is too long to be without your drive!

Hello there,

I think some users are getting the same issue, and i´m a lucky one. Trying to install the firmware on my EX2 the red light pop´s up and just blink, blink and blink. :frowning:

Hope that WD technicians/developers make a usefull patch in this upcoming week to solve this issue. 

When i try to acess to the Ex2 this message pop up:

“”

Safe Mode

Your device firmware appears to be corrupted and your device is currently running in Safe Mode. 

Please download the latest firmware from the WD Support website at  http:\www.support.wdc.com and upload the firmware file below:

Firmware Version: 1.01.00
Upload File:  

“”

I just think on this particulary item “Firware Version • 1.01.00”… WHATTTTTTT

P.S - I can´t acess throw the ssh or ftp or other way around. :frowning:

Hi,

Sames issue here - my system is out for 3 days now,

Current status:

I’ve pressed the reset button 40 seconds when re-starting (replugginging). EX2 is still in Safe mode and top LED is blinking red and the 2 disk ones are blue, blinking Red.

when I try to updload the firmware My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin (after unzipping), the waiting ‘star’ is still rotating, but there is a mesage behind “Internal Server Error 500”

Issue summary: As a summary with what I’ve seen and read on forums:

• WD automatic update is broken
  • The safe mode screen does allow to upload new firmware (broken)
  • FTP, SSH do not work anymore.
  • Reverting to ‘factory’ default, firmware included is not documented correctly. Following the forums advices did not work for me.

Let’s hope WD will find a solution for us.

So far the only solution is RMA.

moviegoer wrote:

virtale wrote:

I downloaded the latest firmware to my smartphone (Android based) and tried the safe mode upload with the chrome (beta) browser. And guess what, it worked. The “star like” circle startet to count from 0 to 100 and after a reboot, the firmware was updated und the EX2 up again.

Interesting indeed. I’m curious: when the device was up and well again, were all the data still there? That’s the major question to me. Thanks for a short reply.

Could it be because a mobile device upload the Zip file instead of the uncompressed .bin file?

I’d love to know what moviegoer did too!  I tried the upload via my nexus5 and it didnt work.

(I specified the .bin file to the upload… not the .zip)

Sal_O wrote:

Sorry to ask, what is RMA?

mcglnx wrote:

Sal_O wrote:

Sorry to ask, what is RMA?

Return Merchandise Authorization

When a manufacture decides/agrees that a product needs replacement, you must first get an RMA number so that the manufacture’s shipping & recieving department will accept the package from you.  No RMA number on the box - they will not accept it.

Ok - thank you.

pmckay wrote:

I’d love to know what moviegoer did too!  I tried the upload via my nexus5 and it didnt work.

(I specified the .bin file to the upload… not the .zip)

Just for clarity: It wasn’t me who was successful with the Android phone. I was just replying to virtale’s post.