MyCloud 8TB keeps dropping off network

Hi all,

Brand new 8TB MyCloud, firmware updated to 2.21.126 as soon as I logged in to it the first time.

Read all of the excellent advice on this site, so far I have done the following:

• Set a static IP
  • Disabled cloud access
  • Set Set SMB protocol to SMB1 (tried all SMB settings, no effect)
  • Disabled Media server
  • Done a System only restore

It will be working for a while and then just stops letting me connect to any share. You can ping it and log in to the console. A couple of things I noticed:

• Logs are full of CIFS authentication failures (both when it works and when it doesn’t).
  • When it stops working if I change any settings the console hangs on “updating”. I have to refresh and log back in.
  • When it stops working if I try and save the configuration file it gives me a 400 error.
  • Rebooting the NAS without changing anything has no effect.
  • Doing a system only restore and reboot fixes it temporarily.
  • Sometimes rebooting after changing configuration (such as turning on extended logging) seems to work.

Anybody have any other ideas that I have not tried?

Also can any please tell me how to do a graceful shut down of this device? It is absolutely crazy that there is no shutdown option. Really not comfortable pulling the plug while it is churning away, that is insane.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

I worked out how to shut it down with the WD Quick View Utility!

Thanks,
Dean

You could also try setting a static IP Address on the My Cloud to see if that fixes it.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=14198

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

As stated in my original post allocating a static IP was the first thing I tried. You can ping it and connect to the console, both computer and cloud device are on the same switch on the same subnet. This is not an IP issue.

Thanks,
Dean

Sorry about that. I was looking specifically for that in your post and missed it. The only other things I can think of is, if you’re on a switch or hub, try connecting directly to the router. If your on a router, try connecting to a switch. You can also check cables to make sure they’re not loose or bad.

I checked it. The Quick View utility does work. That’s awesome.

Hi all,

Providing an update for anybody else having similar problems. In the end I had to buy a new switch. The old switch worked perfectly fine with everything else including my WDMybook NAS. So if you are having problems it could be related to power management or keep alives in your switch. The switch I bought and it now works on successfully is a cheap Netgear GS108.

Hope this helps,
Dean