MyCloud 4TB - Cant recognize external USB3.0 HDD

I did, also reformatting low level wiping out partition table. No joy. Still detected at 0kb space free. Linux logs have evidence of driver exceptions, not file system exception

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Huawei

-------- Messaggio originale --------

Oggetto: [WD Community] [Cloud Storage/My Cloud] MyCloud 4TB - Cant recognize external USB3.0 HDD

Da: Bennor

A: [[DELETED - Privacy]]

CC:

![|45x45](upload://sEuXIZrQ4MObNzNpK1gG9uwZnMe.png "Bennor")Bennor

October 24anfried:

I reformated (NTFS) my 1Tb USB drive and had no result.

Also I did reset the cloud with power down time of more than 40s

It keeps showing the disk as having size of 0 Kb !!!

Does any one have an answer?

Did you try deleting the partition(s) of the external USB drive, then creating a single new partition then formatting it for NTFS?.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

![|45x45](upload://yZtMs1BsSZBB5g0UswESDOPDWff.png "anfried")anfried

October 24I reformated (NTFS) my 1Tb USB drive and had no result. Also I did reset the cloud with power down time of more than 40s It keeps showing the disk as having size of 0 Kb !!!

Does any one have an answer?

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I've sent logs to WD, but got no reply so far.

About the hit and miss… in case of a driver internal exception, usb3 appear to get into a nonworking state, where no devices are detected, UNTIL a poweroff cycle is performed (an hot reboot may not been effective to restore usb ports)… after a full reboot, port usually restart to work, but my devices are recognized as 0kb free, irregardless of formatting

Oggetto: [WD Community] [Cloud Storage/My Cloud] MyCloud 4TB - Cant recognize external USB3.0 HDD

A: [Deleted-Privacy]

CC:

October 24Paolo_Marani:

The problem seem to be limited to ALL Usb3.0 devices.

That is not necessarily the case. While it may be limited to those devices using the USB 3.0 protocol, For some users they don't have problems with attaching a USB 3.0 device to their My Cloud. In my case I have two USB 3.0 devices, one (a Toshiba Canvio external hard drive) wouldn't properly mount or be seen by the v4.x version My Cloud until I deleted all the partitions, created a new single partition then formatted it. Since then no problems with that USB 3.0 drive and the My Cloud. On the second USB 3.0 device (a cheap no name docking station from Amazon) it was hit or miss with certain SATA hard drives on being mounted properly by the My Cloud. For what ever reason a Seagate 1TB hard drive in that docking station wouldn't mount properly from time to time with the My Cloud, yet a 500MB and 250MB SATA hard drive would mount without issue every single time.

That is part of the problem here, its not consistent problem every single person experiences or people with certain specific USB external hard drive models seem to experience. Worse if people don't open up a support case and submit their logs to WD support, WD cannot properly investigate or compile data to help determine what might be causing this strange issue that some of us have experienced.

In Reply To

![|45x45](upload://j3qjYWw757dQDJZ0yeQstCyhPRl.png "Paolo_Marani")Paolo_Marani

October 24The problem seem to be limited to ALL Usb3.0 devices. Do you have an USB2 hub handly ? I’m pretty sure that connected using an USB2.0 hub (with degraded performance of course) it can be recognized correctly. WD refuse to give support about this weird firmware bug

I suspect that working usb devices are only those that somewhat "negotiate" a fallback to usb2 in case of an usb3 protocol failure

A: [Deleted-Privacy]

CC:

October 24Paolo_Marani:

The problem seem to be limited to ALL Usb3.0 devices.

That is not necessarily the case. While it may be limited to those devices using the USB 3.0 protocol, For some users they don't have problems with attaching a USB 3.0 device to their My Cloud. In my case I have two USB 3.0 devices, one (a Toshiba Canvio external hard drive) wouldn't properly mount or be seen by the v4.x version My Cloud until I deleted all the partitions, created a new single partition then formatted it. Since then no problems with that USB 3.0 drive and the My Cloud. On the second USB 3.0 device (a cheap no name docking station from Amazon) it was hit or miss with certain SATA hard drives on being mounted properly by the My Cloud. For what ever reason a Seagate 1TB hard drive in that docking station wouldn't mount properly from time to time with the My Cloud, yet a 500MB and 250MB SATA hard drive would mount without issue every single time.

That is part of the problem here, its not consistent problem every single person experiences or people with certain specific USB external hard drive models seem to experience. Worse if people don't open up a support case and submit their logs to WD support, WD cannot properly investigate or compile data to help determine what might be causing this strange issue that some of us have experienced.

In Reply To

![|45x45](upload://j3qjYWw757dQDJZ0yeQstCyhPRl.png "Paolo_Marani")Paolo_Marani

October 24The problem seem to be limited to ALL Usb3.0 devices. Do you have an USB2 hub handly ? I’m pretty sure that connected using an USB2.0 hub (with degraded performance of course) it can be recognized correctly. WD refuse to give support about this weird firmware bug

Yes I first removed all partitions and created a single new one (NTFS)

I will try hooking the drive up to the WD cloud by a USB2 hub to see if that is working, as suggested by Paolo_Marani (see below)

I tried all: new partition, reset, USB2 hub between disk and my cloud, old USB2 external disk. etc.
they all failed. I do not understand this, it worked before with an external disk, but now after the firmware upgrade it seems to be over for all USB external drives!!!
Is it possible to download somewhere the previous firmware version? and re install this one?

anfried

Yes one can roll back but it may depend on your version. Most if not all roll back methods are for the older first gen v4.x My Clouds. Unknown if those methods will work on the newer second gen v2.x My Cloud. See the following link:
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-cloud-v4-x-and-v2-x-firmware-versions-download-links/148533

Dear Bennor, thanks a lot for your help. I wil try this asap.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

I have FINALLY resolved the puzzle of broken USB3.0 connection on MyCloud.

What i have learned:

1-MyCloud is based on Debian Linux, and support for USB3.0 is weak. If the USB driver go crazy, a simple reboot wont be enough… you must turn off the device, powercycle it for a few seconds, then connect the power again, wait for a full initialization to complete, and only THEN attempt to reconnect the problematic USB3.0 device. Otherwise it wont work.

2-It seem that the device have sort of “memory” on “last seen” device connected, so if the USB3.0 device is reported al “0Kb free” even if it has plenty of space, you must “remove” that memory, otherwise even after a power recycle the device will still mount the device wrongly.

3-The proven way to clear that sort of device memory is to do the following:

Obtain one or more USB3.0 data key (I have used a travelstar 16GB USB3) and insert it back on USB3 port after a powercycle.

If the key is properly recognized (and mounted), eject the key using Web UI.

Repeat the mount/unmount cycle several time with different devices (my earlier working attempts were of 2 cycle using 2 different brand datakeys)

Now, most probably the internal cache entries for “last-seen” usb3 device is cleared, you can attach the external HDD to the USB3.0 port and… to my big surprise… it finally MOUNT THE DEVICE reporting the proper disk space. Also SAFEPOINTS now works.

In a nutshell, powercycle the device and try to mount some other USB3.0 enabled peripherals to purge the corrupted “last-seen” device entries, this will prepare the driver stack for properly recognize throublesome HDDs.

I still believe that the MyClouud need a definitive firmware patch to make the USB3.0 port reliable, but as far as i can finally mount my backup hdd, i’m happy with it now.

Hope this helps, Paolo

Thanks for the sugestions, I will try it.

But from my previous attempt with a USB3-stick of 16GB I also got "0"Kb from this device.

I will try now combining it with the powercycle.

greetings Aufried

Aufried Lenferink
[[DELETED - Privacy]]
teL: [[DELETED - Privacy]]
[[DELETED - Privacy]]

Van: Paolo_Marani wd@discoursemail.com
Verzonden: maandag 31 oktober 2016 15:28
Aan: [[DELETED - Privacy]]
Onderwerp: [WD Community] [Cloud Storage/My Cloud] MyCloud 4TB - Cant recognize external USB3.0 HDD

[https://avatars.discourse.org/v2/letter/p/f08c70/45.png] Paolo_Maranihttps://community.wd.com/users/paolo_marani
October 31

What i have learned:

1-MyCloud is based on Debian Linux, and support for USB3.0 is weak. If the USB driver go crazy, a simple reboot wont be enough… you must turn off the device, powercycle it for a few seconds, then connect the power again, wait for a full initialization to complete, and only THEN attempt to reconnect the problematic USB3.0 device. Otherwise it wont work.

2-It seem that the device have sort of “memory” on “last seen” device connected, so if the USB3.0 device is reported al “0Kb free” even if it has plenty of space, you must “remove” that memory, otherwise even after a power recycle the device will still mount the device wrongly.

Obtain one or more USB3.0 data key (I have used a travelstar 16GB USB3) and insert it back on USB3 port after a powercycle.

Repeat the mount/unmount cycle several time with different devices (my earlier working attempts were of 2 cycle using 2 different brand datakeys)

Now, most probably the internal cache entries for “last-seen” usb3 device is cleared, you can attach the external HDD to the USB3.0 port and… to my big surprise… it finally MOUNT THE DEVICE reporting the proper disk space. Also SAFEPOINTS now works.

In a nutshell, powercycle the device and try to mount some other USB3.0 enabled peripherals to purge the corrupted “last-seen” device entries, this will prepare the device for properly recognize throublesome HDDs.

I still believe that the MyClouud need a definitive firmware patch to make the USB3.0 port reliable, but as far as i can finally mount my backup hdd, i’m happy with it now.

Hope this helps, Paolo

Visit Topichttps://community.wd.com/t/mycloud-4tb-cant-recognize-external-usb3-0-hdd/181050/31 or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
[https://avatars.discourse.org/v2/letter/a/a3d4f5/45.png] anfriedhttps://community.wd.com/users/anfried
October 25

Dear Bennor, thanks a lot for your help. I wil try this asap. Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Visit Topichttps://community.wd.com/t/mycloud-4tb-cant-recognize-external-usb3-0-hdd/181050/31 or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click herehttps://community.wd.com/email/unsubscribe/2118bab0a8464fa462629704d4512478b33798d78fbf523426a7c0a51d2bdfe0.

For v4.x firmware single bay My Cloud units there is a database file (/var/local/autoMount/autoMount.db) that is maintained of USB devices that have been connected to the unit. There is some discussion of this database file (which can be accessed via SSH or using a stand alone SQL reader) in the following post/thread/discussion:
https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-cannot-not-mount-share-on-4tb-my-book/168409/12

One could try to rename the autoMount.db file, reboot their My Cloud then reattach the USB device to the My Cloud and see if that clears the 0K issue.

Since I don’t have a v2.x single bay My Cloud I don’t know if this same autoMount.db is located within that firmware and if so is it located at the same directory location.

I followed your instructions but unfortunately it didn’t help.

Even my two USB3-sticks were not seen properly ("0"Kb both).

So I will try my last option and try to reinstall the previous firmware.

Aufried Lenferink
[[DELETED - Privacy]]
teL: [[DELETED - Privacy]]
[[DELETED - Privacy]]

Van: Paolo_Marani wd@discoursemail.com
Verzonden: maandag 31 oktober 2016 15:28
Aan: [[DELETED - Privacy]]
Onderwerp: [WD Community] [Cloud Storage/My Cloud] MyCloud 4TB - Cant recognize external USB3.0 HDD

[https://avatars.discourse.org/v2/letter/p/f08c70/45.png] Paolo_Maranihttps://community.wd.com/users/paolo_marani
October 31

What i have learned:

In a nutshell, powercycle the device and try to mount some other USB3.0 enabled peripherals to purge the corrupted “last-seen” device entries, this will prepare the device for properly recognize throublesome HDDs.

Hope this helps, Paolo

In Reply To
[https://avatars.discourse.org/v2/letter/a/a3d4f5/45.png] anfriedhttps://community.wd.com/users/anfried
October 25

Dear Bennor, thanks a lot for your help. I wil try this asap. Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

To unsubscribe from these emails, click herehttps://community.wd.com/email/unsubscribe/2118bab0a8464fa462629704d4512478b33798d78fbf523426a7c0a51d2bdfe0.

I suggest you to attempt a factory reset before downgrading the firmware.
Also, i warn you that even downgrading the firmware could be uneffective, because the problem appear to be related to configuration settings, not just firmware changes.

What does a factory reset do?
Data remains intact I hope! do I lose all sharing settings?

User data files are not deleted when performing a 4 second reset or 40 second restore.

See the following WD Support document that details how to reset the single bay My Cloud:
http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

The 4 Second Reset will reset the following:
Admin Password (No password by default)
Network Mode (Default = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP))

The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:
Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
Admin Password (No password by default)
Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
Remove all Users except Admin
All Share permissions (default = Public)
Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
Network Mode (default = DHCP)
Remove all Alerts
mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
WD Sync association (default = not configured)
Backup jobs (default = not configured)
Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)

for any USB3 connected hdd for safepoint backups, you need a powered HDD.
Or in your case Paolo, I got a usb3 cable split in two USB3 connections called dual power usb A to micro B
You plug the HDD with the My cloud, and the other USB connection with any USB powered slot.
If you connect the hdd housing with the mycloud only, the NAS cannot power a 4tb disk
I have an EX4100, and it cannot power a 4tb housing. like this one

This is not necessarily the case and may depend on the external USB drive itself. Currently I use a 1TB Toshiba Canvio USB 3.0 external hard drive as a Safepoint backup location on a single bay My Cloud running the latest v4.x firmware and don’t have an issue.The Canvo is direct connected to the My Cloud, no USB cable splitter or powered USB hub needed. Works fine.

It works for small laptop hdd’s but my point was the power should be independent for the safe side, and the fact that his external hdd will work with the cable. This was the OP initial question, and the solution

If connector power is of any concern, i cannot explain why my hdd now
mounts correctly!
I’m pretty sure that a robust power supply would be helpful, but
unfortunately MyCloud have
only a single port on the back, and adding a secondary power supply is a
pain on the rear.
Maybe an usb hub connected to a proper power supply would be better than
an Y usb cable.
In any case, i doupt the mounting problems is due to excessive power
drain, modern HDD
have an effective power management that control power usage when start
spinning,
avoiding excessive stress at startup.
Just a question, how is the MyCloud USB3 port rated on current provided ?
My HDD is labelled behind saying that at spinup can drain 800mA, and i
think it should
fit inside USB 3.0 specification (USB2.0 if i remember offer 500mA only)

Paolo

The OP indicated in a prior post what the problem/solution was for in their case and it didn’t appear to have anything to do with the USB drive not getting enough power.
https://community.wd.com/t/mycloud-4tb-cant-recognize-external-usb3-0-hdd/181050/31

Adding a powered USB hub or using a split USB cable to provide additional power via a second USB port is one troubleshooting step people should try if they are having problems with external USB hard drives not mounting when attached to the My Cloud’s USB port. Sometimes hardware could be slightly out of spec.

On a side note, while the My Cloud User Manual indicates one can attach up to seven external USB hard drives using a hub, we’ve had prior discussions where people have trouble using more than four devices. Some discussion on that issue can be found in the following thread:
https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-and-usb-hub-powered/168885
In that thread I mention how I had trouble with a seventh USB device sometimes mounting as 0K while using a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Oh my god… i’ve figured out why the 0Kb free space mounting issue.

Iesterday, i was notified by email from my home MyCloud that i had a power loss and the device has been rebooted,

When i come back at home, i discovered that my external hdd (always connected and usedonly for safepoints) was not mounted at all. I then rebooted the device (without hdd connected) then reconnected the hdd, and after some seconds it was mounted but with indication of 0Kb free… NNNnnoooooooo

One thing i have noticed, is that the mycloud hdd was furiously trashing, and UI seemed quite unresponsive to the user,… at the right bottom panel, the state was “indexing…”

I’m now 100% sure that, if the device is re-indexing content, then any external usb3 device is NOT recognized, or if it is recognized is reported as 0kb free!

I have done the following:

1- reboot the device without any hdd connected
2- entered into firmware ui looking at indexing page
3- wait for the indexing to complete (after an insane amount of time)
4- when the content indexing report “inactive”, ONLY NOW connect usb3 hdd
5- it will be detected as 0kb free, BUT the indexing now restart
6- go again inti indexing page, the device is scanning now content (on external hdd)
7- after some minutes, the indexing completes, return to home page
8- usb info now report the correct hdd size… HORRAYYYY

I now believe that MyCloud is unreliabe on usb detection while it is busy indexing content, most probably because excessive cpu usage.
Also, usb connected devices are mounted as 0kb free UNTIL the indexing is complete, only at that point it is properly mounted.

Does all this makes sense ? This aggressive indexing is evil!