MyBookLive Trade-in program RMA Instructions

Thanks @jaime_armengol , I will try and report on here !

Ive worked out 40% on a new my book live duo is Ā£160ish without drives.

WD receive my old device back with my dataā€¦.

Ive found a chassis cheaper without disks on Amazon - could I dump my existing hard drives in a new chassis and then at least it saves on the risk of my data going missingā€¦and saves me postage etc too!?

Thanks

I donā€™t really understand your message. The 40% discount can only be used to purchase certain new devices which include HDā€™s and certainly not My Live Duo which are the ones being replaced. If you were to get for example the My Cloud EX2 Ultra, they include 2 WD red HDā€™s which would be new and not your very old HDā€™sā€¦ personally I would replace the HDā€™s. Consider they are sending the coupons to purchase the new device before having to return (or not?) your old one.

I could go to Amazon and purchase an empty chassis and just put my existing disks in and save me money - thatā€™s my point? Does that make sense?

You wouldnā€™t be replacing your HDā€™s that are probably quite a few years old and are the most important part of a NAS. New WD red HDā€™s are about 100ā‚¬ each, which is basically what you would be paying if purchasing (with the 40% off) the new device that includes the same HDā€™s already. But go ahead and knock yourself out if youā€™d rather buy a chassis and use your old HDā€™s.

Hi All,

Just curious and want to know what product/model that everyone on here are trading in for ?
I just found out that the WD My Home Cloud is not exactly a NAS product.
It look like it need internet connection to be able to read folders etc, right ?
Does anyone know if you can access My Home Cloud via Kodi as a network share folder ?

Thanks all !

I got the My Cloud EX2 Ultra, you can install Plex in it and no need for Plex Pass if you use it within your LAN.

Thanks Jaime,
I read some review and the software that come with the My Home Cloud is quite limited. Not sure if that has been improve now yet, compared to those reviews when the unit first come out.
To spend on the My Cloud EX2 Ultra is hard judging as with that money you can have a better setup may be.

Wondering if you did just return the Duo case without the drives ? Or even not returning them as they will scrap it anyway and we have to pay for shipping ?

Would this be a better reason not to returning the drives as they would just scrap them, wasting money on shipping !?

Hunter_sig,

I finally was able to contact WD by phone. Asked the question, the rep stated that the entire case and drives must all be returned to be valid for the discount offer. It would have been nice to keep the old drives as spares, but I would not want to rely on 6-7 year old drives (and aging) as my main storage.

For what itā€™s worth ā€“ using the WD phone number was the only way I finally completed my device return. Even that took three calls, three reps, promised RMAs that never showed up, one RMA # that was later cancelled and mysteriously replaced with a new RMA #, but I finally received the discount code. Now the replacement device is on backorder until who knows when.

Ah, since a number of people here have said they couldnā€™t find a phone number might you not list it here?

I had the exact same experience as Jackalope. Havenā€™t had a chance to contact WD yet as theyā€™re closed at the moment. My point will be that I wouldnā€™t have even had to ship, and therefore risk my drive, if not for their error, so it arrived damaged after I packed it better than they even requested, and now they are going to do nothing? Do we have no recourse?

yeah right. I think the best for WD is to give the code for people so thay can spend more money to buy WD product and forget about ship the faulty one back as there is no point for that.

I agree, WD should have simplified all this, and just give the coupon to purchase a new device since old ones are basically useless to anyone. The fact they give the coupon before you return your old device is a sign they donā€™t care too much about it being returned. For now Iā€™m holding on to mine and they havenā€™t claimed it.

Difficult to find, but the WD support number is 1 (800) 275-4932

Many thanks

Hi Again Dan,

Iā€™m chuckling because I just Googled Western Digital Support Hours, and right next to the hours was the phone number. Go figure.

In any case, thanks again.

But as it is stated at the WD website, - ā€œThe coupon code may not be combined, used in conjunction with or used in addition to any other promotion or offer. The coupon code is not applicable for any prior purchasesā€¦ā€ Senior Discounts | Western Digital

Yes, those are the rules. What I meant was that if I decided to buy a device that is not covered under this plan, I can apply the 15% discount, Sorry if I was not clear.

1 Like