MyBook World is dying...replaced with MyBook Live Duo, but can't do similar things? Help

I had the mybook world for many years, I travel a lot for work, always with different laptops, so to be able to work of the hard drive at home using mionet was great. Pretty much as long as I had internet I had access to all my files, that where secure at home.

One of the drives on the MYB (it has 2x500GB) is dying, so I decided to go and get the newest thing…asuming I would be able to do the same, and much more. I got the 6T one, and when I install it, pretty much the only way to access the files on it remotely is via a web interface. If you have a couple TB of files, to have to go over them via a web browser is simply ridiculous, or to work off it, save file directly there, etc. In short, is there a way for the new drive to serve a similar function than the old one. I know mionet is not supported, but was it replaced by something similar, or the drive is just focused on playing with tablet, but not good to use it as a central drive for work?

Please let me know if there is a way to do what I need or I should just return the drive.

Thanks!

sumaschi wrote:

I had the mybook world for many years, I travel a lot for work, always with different laptops, so to be able to work of the hard drive at home using mionet was great. Pretty much as long as I had internet I had access to all my files, that where secure at home.

One of the drives on the MYB (it has 2x500GB) is dying, so I decided to go and get the newest thing…asuming I would be able to do the same, and much more. I got the 6T one, and when I install it, pretty much the only way to access the files on it remotely is via a web interface. If you have a couple TB of files, to have to go over them via a web browser is simply ridiculous, or to work off it, save file directly there, etc. In short, is there a way for the new drive to serve a similar function than the old one. I know mionet is not supported, but was it replaced by something similar, or the drive is just focused on playing with tablet, but not good to use it as a central drive for work?

Please let me know if there is a way to do what I need or I should just return the drive.

Thanks!

If by something similar you mean like an installable program then no, WD2go only works on computers by using a browser.

Thank you. I find it amaziing that with a new product I can do less than with a 7 year old product. Do you know if there is any other product that would allow me to have access to a remote drive through a local application and avoid any browser service?

Thanks

Not from WD, and actually I don’t think current NAS makers are developing installable apps because it limits the number of compatible systems and also is more expensive to develop than a web kit.

I haven’t been checking on Seagate NAS, but not even QNAP are using apps anymore, they’re using WEBDAV for remote access on recent NAS like WD.

If you feel up to it, and the problem with the MBWE II is definitely a drive, there are guides out there for drive replacement.  There may be such a thing on this forum- I don’t remember.

This site gets into the various processes involved-

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/install-clean-hdd-in-white-light-my-book-world-edition

Yo, looks like wd  is back to installable clients with NAS drives. Just found out the Mycloud comes with one.

1 Like

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Yo, looks like wd  is back to installable clients with NAS drives. Just found out the Mycloud comes with one.

Thanks for the tip! That could be really handy.

1 Like

If you’re on a LAN connection you can access it directly through file explorer…

Hi sumaschi,

yes, you can!

From My Book Live Duo User manual, page 5

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705065.pdf

• Get to your content from anywhere with WD 2go web access

If you can access the Internet from a computer, you can securely access your media
and files anywhere in the world at https://www.wd2go.com/. WD 2go web access
provides fee-free remote access to your My Book Live Duo personal cloud storage.
Once you log in, WD 2go mounts the My Book Live Duo device to your computer like
a local drive and your remote folders are available on any Windows or Mac computer.
Seamlessly open, save, and attach files to emails from this virtual drive.

HTH

Gianni