Mybook world II not showing up in windows 7. HELP!

Hello!

I really need help with my old Mybookworl II. A white book-looking NAS with white lights. With two disks each with 1TB memory. Sata.
It has been working fine for many years. Without me doing anything it suddenly won´t show up in the explorer anymore. My share is showing up once sometimes but i can only access the files for a short period of time.
I have tried reseting with button on the back. Nothing changes.
Now the light is on only down below. One lamp in the bottom. No blinking.
I think it blinks one time in the top when i restart the drive.

Could anyone help me please?? I have all my most important files on the disk with pictures of my children growing up and so on. I KNOW its so stupid not to have made a back up but i thought i was safe since the mybookworld IS a back up itself :slight_smile:

Any tip would be great!

/NEVER WD AGAIN :slight_smile:

Hello,

Did you try resetting your My Book World for 20 seconds as stated in the article below:
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3553

Also, try connecting the device with a different Ethernet cable and verify the power connection.

Hi!

Yes. Many many times. But i actully found a solution yesterday. I can describe it if someone else get in the same bad position.

I took out the harddrives out from the mybookworld as they seemed to be good still. I placed them in another computer with sata cables.
The computer was running Linux ubuntu. Then the prpblem is that ubuntu cant show whats on the disl due to its built like an raid-array.
Then you need to open a terminal and type two commandlines to get access.

Firat check your diskmanager whats the name of the drive. Mine was sdb4.
Then go to terminal and install mdadm.
“Sudo get-install mdadm” (follow instructions)
Then use mdadm to create a readable partition of the disk by typing:
“Sudo mdadm - -assemble - -run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb4”

Then your wd bookworld disk will pop up in the explorer so you can save the data and never use Western digital again :slight_smile:
What i can guess is that the electronics of the NAS itself was broken in some way.

Oh forgot. This is asuming that ypu dont have any disk named md0 before but you usually dont so…

[quote=“Fredrik_Karlsson, post:1, topic:205912”]the mybookworld IS a back up itself :slight_smile:
[/quote]

By definition, if you do not have a separate copy of your data in an independent location you do not have a backup. RAID 1 (Mirror) is a fault-tolerance system for individual disk failure. It is not a backup since the volume itself is susceptible to external factors and data corruption.

On the other hand, WD My Book World Edition (White Light) units ceased production around 2013 with the introduction of the WD My Book Live.

That NAS had a very long life even if it belongs to the final batch. Good job taking care of it.

Yes you are very right! I just had to learn it in a very hard way haha.
I have always been known by people who knows me for being very careful with my stuff. Guessed i missed a little bit that the time haved moved on :wink: