Mybook only mounts one of two partitions...help

Hello, I have a WDBAAF6400EBK-01 WD 500GB MyBook with 2 partitions. I was in the middle of saving files onto the “Main” partition, when the external drive fell off my desk and onto the rug and got unplugged. When I re-connected the external drive back to my MacBookPro, only one (“Secondary”) of two partitions mount. Disk Utility recognized both partitions, but the “Main” partition is not mounted and is unable to be mounted. (see attached). I tried First Aid but it failed—I guess it can fix only what’s mounted. Is there a way to force-mount the “Main” Drive?

I’m sorry to hear about the issue with your external drive. In situations like these, there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the problem:

1. Check Physical Connections:

• Make sure the external drive is properly connected to your MacBookPro.
  • If possible, try using a different USB cable and port to rule out any issues with the connection.

2. Use Terminal to Force Mount:

• Open Terminal on your MacBookPro (you can find it in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder).
  • Type the following command to list all available drives and their partitions:
    diskutil list
  • Identify the identifier for the “Main” partition (it should be something like /dev/disk2s1).
  • Use the following command to attempt to mount the partition:
    sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk2s1
    - Replace `/dev/disk2s1` with the correct identifier for your "Main" partition.

3. Check and Repair the File System:

• Use the following command to check and repair the file system of the “Main” partition:
    sudo diskutil repairVolume /dev/disk2s1

• Again, replace /dev/disk2s1 with the correct identifier for your “Main” partition.

4. Use a Third-Party Disk Utility:

• If the above steps don’t work, you might want to try a third-party disk utility tool. Tools like Stellar Data Recovery are known for their ability to repair disk directory issues.

5. Data Recovery:

• If none of the above steps work, it’s possible that the fall may have caused physical damage to the drive. In such cases, you might want to consider data recovery services or software to retrieve your files before attempting any further troubleshooting.
    Remember to back up your important data as soon as you can, especially if you manage to access the “Main” partition temporarily. If the issue persists, it might be worth consulting with a professional data recovery service for assistance.

The “Main” partition might be inaccessible due to filesystem corruption or damage caused by the fall. Try force-mounting using the Terminal or data recovery software.
If you need further help, let me know. :blush:

1 Like