MyBook Live like a rocket from a PC, like a snail from Smart TV

Do you have a computer that you have running all the time? If so, then connect a bunch of USB external drives to it. Put your media content on the drives. Install Twonky 8 on your PC. Let the Twonky on your PC serve the media to your Kodi box via the LAN.

Twonky 8 has a feature called aggregation. That means that if you have the USB disks attached to your PC and your PC is running twonky, and also you have a MBL running twonky, then both the twonkys will talk to each other and aggregate all the content from both media servers. So then from your client end (Kodi) you would see all the combined content in a seamless library.

[quote=“wdlive76, post:41, topic:135430, full:true”]
Do you have a computer that you have running all the time? (…)[/quote]
No, I don’t want that anymore (powerbillwise and garlandwise !)

One of the best Kodi boxes is this one

Thanks for your support and suggestions … I will post again as soon as I will be a Koddict :smile:

1 Like

[quote=“wdlive76, post:29, topic:135430, full:true”]
There is an excellent hack called FeaturesPackManager that you should install. It will allow you to see the performance stats of your MBL so that you can determine if you have a MBL sluggish problem or if it is actually just a problem with your device receiving the media stream.[/quote]

While streaming media from MBL minidlna :

CPU usage is good, but temps are very hot. Highly recommend that you get a fan under it to cool it. I use a USB powered 80mm fan ($3).

My temps is 33C. Yours is 57C. That’s a big difference, and most likely the source of some of your troubles.

I set the log level to fatal and no such warning appeared again.

I have completed my experience sharing on minidlna in this forum and might be you can also have a look.

[quote=“Lo_Elo, post:47, topic:135430, full:true”]
I set the log level to fatal and no such warning appeared again.[/quote]
What is the exact syntax : log_level=fatal ?

[quote=“Lo_Elo, post:47, topic:135430, full:true”]
I have completed my experience sharing on minidlna in this forum and might be you can also have a look.[/quote]
Sorry, didn’t get that point … ?

[quote=“wdlive76, post:46, topic:135430, full:true”]
CPU usage is good, but temps are very hot. Highly recommend that you get a fan under it to cool it. I use a USB powered 80mm fan ($3).[/quote]
Yes, I have a few of these, I will make an adapter to fit in a 5V-USB …

Refer to my link in this forum:

1 Like

[quote=“Lo_Elo, post:50, topic:135430, full:true”]
Refer to my link in this forum[/quote]
Super, and so comprehensive !
Got the syntax, now :
log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=fatal   :smile:

@wdlive76

I am surprised that you did not recommend the Raspberry Pi 3 (aka RP3). It has been the only one mentioned by the long time, hard core WD geeks who frequent these forums. I have never seen mention of these off-brand Android boxes. So, where is the support forum for these no-name boxes?.

I am considering getting a RP3, but since I am totally satisfied with my WDTV Live Plus media players for playing ISO, MKV files and my music files (even from playlists) I am still a happy camper, and don’t feel the urge to get one just yet…

I also have an Amazon Fire Stick I have loaded Kodi on to. It works OK, plays music and ISO files made from my DVDs, but just don’t ask it to play demanding MkV videos made from Blu-ray disks. It chokes badly, and the reason why is that all the heavy lifting is done by the Kodi software, and not the Fire TV hardware which is hardly adequate. The Fire TV box might do better, but I am not buying one just to find this out. Kodi really needs to be run on good hardware.

Getting back to the OP’s dilemma, anything Kodi is not what he needs right now, he has a new Smart TV he can’t get to co-exist with older hardware, so he should try the minidlna (or Twonky) on his MLB, and if it gets the job done for him now, fine. I think what he really needs going forward is to bail from the MLB (all this fuss over a 1TB drive?) and step up to a real NAS from WD. The MLB is so “yesterday”. Since it was released, WD has been developing the past few years, an extensive line of My Cloud NAS devices from the basic to the most feature packed ones. Anyone who is accumulating more media each day has moved from having a lot of separate HDs around, to a true NAS server they configure how they like. For over a year I have had a DL2100 NAS set up in a RAID1 config. I have plenty of storage on my network to last me a while. And, all neatly inside a My Cloud box. All my devices can access the media on it without any problems. I am glad I moved away from tack-on drives when I needed more storage.

The OP’s dilemma is that his client device (TV) is having trouble with the media server. He says the media server works just fine with other client devices. Many people have trouble with their ‘smart’ TVs. Check out the wikidot forum for the MBL - it’s full of people complaining about this exact problem. And always the problem is not the media server, it’s the client device (TV). These types of client devices sadly are no where as good a client as Kodi is. That’s why I suggested he use a Kodi box. As for a RP3, that’s sort of overkill. Great to have, but not necessary.

You’re correct that if the OP can afford it, they should get a new NAS. MBL technology is 6 years old now. But on the other hand, a MBL still does a good job of media server. I run a MBLD with a lot extra storage attached to it via USB. Works just fine. I don’t have any pressing need for a new NAS.

1 Like

[quote=“wdlive76, post:53, topic:135430, full:true”]
The OP’s dilemma is that his client device (TV) is having trouble with the media server.
(…)
But on the other hand, a MBL still does a good job of media server. I run a MBLD with a lot extra storage attached to it via USB. Works just fine. I don’t have any pressing need for a new NAS.[/quote]
Thanks for your subtle post :wink:

How can you say a RP3 is “overkill” if it does more and costs less than the no-name media players. Saying it is overkill sounds more like an endorsement than a criticism.

I think one of the main problems with these smart tvs is they only work with media servers (DLNA) and not with network shares. WDTVs (and Kodi) work both ways. I rarely access media via media server.

Kodi, on the other hand works with both servers and shares, just like a WDTV.

I say RP3 is overkill because it is not for novices. It requires quite a bit of tech skill to set up. The android boxes are turn-on and it’s ready to play. Furthermore, if a person is tech capable to go with an RP3, then they might as well go all the way and use a Asus Chromebox hacked for Kodi - since that’s the best small profile hardware out there.

It’s true that Kodi and WDTV can access book media servers, samba servers, NFS servers, etc. That’s a big advantage, but not critical. Although i can use all of those servers, I always use Twonky media server simply because it’s the fastest and best organized.

I think you and I agree that smart TV’s are a waste of money. They aren’t smart. The user can’t upgrade the software. It’s basically a closed garden type environment. Kodi is the exact opposite.

Agree, you could not give me a Smart TV. I have said more than once in these forums, DLNA is a “Home Network setup for Dummies”, and I prefer to use Samba/network shares that gives one more control and options than media servers in many ways. “Smart TV” is purely a marketing gimmick to sell folks new TVs.

RP3 does appear to be more work than I want, and another reason I have not jumped In. Besides it doesn’t even have a remote control, does it? So, the Asus even needs to be hacked to work with Kodi? What decent box comes with a remote, has Kodi and/or is really Kodi-Ready, and needs no hacking: I am waiting the the next WDTV to be something just like this! I want a name-brand working Kodi box if I replace my WDTV.

You can do a search for best Kodi boxes and a lot of good hardware will up. The Matricom box or the NVIDIA box get high scores. Honestly, I like the FireStick. It’s not the best, but it’s good a number of metrics, and it has a nice small remote. Does require an easy hack though - lots of guides how to do it.
People sell already setup FireSticks and Chromeboxes on ebay if you don’t like hacking.

I had a WDTV for a long time. I wasn’t convinced that Kodi was worth the switch. Finally i plunked down the $40 for FireStick with the intention that it wasn’t much money and if i didn’t like Kodi, then i would return it. I haven’t looked back. I sold the WDTV a week after I set up Kodi. No comparison.

Read my comment above about my Fire Stick w/Kodi. It is somewhat lame. Challenged by high bitrate videos from BD source, etc. older WDTV Live Plus beats the heck out of it.

Kodi does a lot more than just play local content.