MyBook Live like a rocket from a PC, like a snail from Smart TV

Hello,
I have a WD MyBook Live (latest update) with a DLNA multimedia server set on it.
It’s connected to my Router, my PC and my LG smart TV through a 1G switch.

Accessing files/folders from my PC works like a charm.
Accessing files/folders from my Smart TV (LG) can be terribly slow.
Strangely, it sometimes works like a rocket (as if from my PC) but most of the time navigating thru folders takes tens of seconds. The same when streaming a file : on my Smart TV it takes at least 10 sec before the movie actually starts (from my PC the streamed movie starts in a snap) !

What could be the problem and how would you suggest to test or solve it ?

Hello,

It’s hard to identify any specific issue if sometime it works fine and then it doesn’t.

The only thing that comes to my mind is the bandwidth. It could be that some of the times that you are using your TV someone else is accessing the drive or streaming to a different device.

Is this happening with all the files or any specific one?

Hi,

Nope, no one uses the network nor the MBL but me !

Meanwhile, I made some resarch and I finally found that navigating thru the MBL folders from the LG TV is very slow WHEN IT’S JUST BEEN SWITCHED ON.

After some time, maybe 5-10min, then the navigation is fast and smooth as if the TV had to FIRST build an image of the MBL folders/files structure in its own memory after every startup …
Well, that’s my explanation at that point !

As a workaround, I have now decided to leave the TV ON all the time (reducing sound and backlight) but that’s not environmentally satisfying though …

I have the same problem with my LG (49UF850V).

Leaving the TV on for ages is not resolving the issue for me. I spoke to the LG helpdesk, but their advisors don’t really understand the problem (some of them don’t know what a DLNA is, or the difference between streaming media from a NAS drive vs. streaming from the internet). One advisor told me I need to get fiber optic internet because this TV is very advanced.

So I emailed their escalation tech team (cic.uk@lge.com) and I am waiting for their response. You can maybe email them as well and hopefully draw attention to this serious problem.

Hello Abdul,
Thanks for your explanations and support regarding this issue.
I totally agree with you concerning the lack of expertise and technical knowledge of helpdesks’ advisors.
This is the reason why I did not EVEN try to call them to tackle this problem.
(It just made me laugh when I read they advised you to subscribe a fiber optic internet line to solve a LAN issue !)
I can also send an email to the LG escalation team which may sound the same vein as yours.
Send me by PM a copy of your email to them so that I can get inspired on what I am gonna tell them.
Thanks again.
(LG 32LA660S)

Did you get any response from LG because I haven’t yet. I sent 3 chase emails and still no word.

Nope, no answer yet ( maybe ever :wink: ) !

Sorry don’t have much feedback for your issues, however, I do know the following…

Smart TVs are not that Smart, yet.

A friend of mine after numerous issues with the “Smart” part of his TV, bought a Fire TV stick and all his issues when away. For $35 it was a no brainer. All cases are different though, I agree.

I doubt a Fire Stick may solve my issue with my LG TV not being able to stream media fast enough from my MBL …
Such a device (stick) is designed to stream various paid/free media from the @ but not from a LAN, am I not right ?

KODI

Best program out there.

But I am sure there got to be some DNLA/UPNP app for it as well such as this

:smile:

I currently have the Fire TV Box streaming all my media from MBL.

The app you mentionned is for Android !!!
I think your posts are off-topic …
Let me remind you what it’s all about here :
“How come a LG smart TV makes things so sluggish when it comes to stream a WD MBL ?”
We will all appreciate answers here to be relevant and/or pertaining to this subject.

I was barely answering your question in regards to the stick. Which it seems YOU forgot.

Geee, take it easy…

A post was split to a new topic: MBL not working with LG Smart TV

I have a LG 32LF6310 smart TV and basically it cannot work with the WD DLNA service in MyBookLive at all. It took 15-20 seconds to jump from one page to another and over 30 seconds to start a video. Some video files simply refused to play on my LG smart TV.

I disabled the WD DLNA service, compile and install minidlna into MBL, and the response time is suddenly down to 2 to 3 seconds with Ethernet wired connections. With some source code modifications, minidlna can also support real media (.rmvb) files in which the WD dlna service cannot.

There is an excellent Youtube Video Tutorial on how to install minidlna into MBL ‘Video tutorial install minidlna My Book Live (Firmware. 02.43.03-022) - YouTube’. There are minor changes in procedure required for the recent firmware version. Please also refer to the comments under the video on this.

1 Like

Hello Elo !
That sounds really GREAT, I am gonna try it ASAP …
I had been waiting so long to get hinted on a solution making it work FAST … well, NORMAL speed :wink: !
However, did you install your minidlna on the latest MBL version (02.43.10-048) coz the Youtube tutorial clearly explains that attempting to install it on other versions than Firmware 02.43.03-022 would possibly brick the MBL !?
Awaiting your return on that point.
ym58

These are totally uncalled for snarky remarks coming from someone who doesn’t know what he is doing, but asking for help. Let me remind YOU what it is all about here: people who have issues with their gear come here and ask questions, and people who hang out here help. In this case, the guy who responded to you with info about Kodi on a Fire Stick was spot on about the Fire Stick and you weren’t. Yes, the Fire Stick and the Kodi app are Android, but so what, you can still use it! You do not need an Android cell phone or other Android gadget other than a Fire Stick and Kodi app installed on it.

Suggest you take all responses graciously and politely since you barely know what you are talking about here, and well, you need help just like the lion with a thorn in his paw…

I have a Fire Stick that’s running Kodi. I just tried the suggestion, and it worked perfectly. But, I never watch my movies this way; I have better ways I prefer. I have something smarter that a Smart TV; it is called a WDTV media player. It can process and show movies from the My Cloud flawlessly, whether they come into the WDTV from a Media Server (i.e. DLNA format) or a Network Share format. (Do you understand the significant distinction here between the two?)

DLNA suckx in many ways, (about all I use it for is playing music Playlists) and I prefer getting media via Network sharing from the My Cloud and other drives on my network with other devices. Like was mentioned already here , Smart TV’s are NOT that smart; just marketed well to people who buy them. You would not believe how many people who come to the forum complaining about how their Smart TV cannot show their movies; photos or play music; especially Samsung TVs owners. Maybe you ought to be complaining to LG. Good luck with them!

Twonky on My Cloud works well, for sending stuff via DLNA to see on a TV, so installing minidlna is not a solution. I NEVER have a problem with Twonky on the My Cloud! You do, and I have no instant answer for you other than try a Fire Stick /Kodi combo, or if you have a WDTV, use it.

Thank you for the time you’ve taken to :writing_hand: your long reply to my 6-month old post :hourglass_flowing_sand: but your reply is still off topic!
Read again my initial post, the equation’s quite simple : :snail: LG TV + MBL = Sluggishness :snail:

And that is exactly what this is all about.

So, I think I will stick   (pun … :smile:)   to Lo-Elo suggestions :champagne:   for these at least seem relevant …

I see nothing in your post (which BTW became active again recently and shown in the Latest tab) that you contacted either WD or LG support for any, or much, assistance. Good luck getting your issue resolved; you deserve a lot of assist from the community. I figured I would get a snarky reply from you, so I am not surprised. It’s never too late to let someone know he was being impolite to helpful users

Thank you, lad !

From my comment in the video:

In step 1, comment all lines and add in one line instead:
deb Index of /debian squeeze main

Just tried it and it work fine with FW version 02.43.10-048 and the performance of miniDLNA is way better than default DLNA from WD using my LG smart TV.

Comment that was posted by others:

1. vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    Comment 2 line (wheezy) - This is very important if you don’t do it, you may brick your NAS

change the “ftp.us.debian.org" with “archive.debian.org” in the squeeze line of your /etc/apt/sources.list

And there was another comment in the video:
I installed on a WD MLB firmware 02.43.10-048 and this works perfect!

It seems that there are at least 3 persons installed successfully using more recent firmware(s) from the comments.

BTW, my understanding is that Twonky 5 is installed in WD MyBookLive while Twonky 7/8 is installed in WD MyCloud. I did install Twonky 8 in MBL and the performance snaps up immediately with my LG Smart TV. Yet, as a MBL users, we need to pay in order to use Twonky 7/8. But if there is a free alternative solution why did I have to paid for Twonky 7/8 then?

The only regret is: why I did bear with my WD DLNA server in MBL for so long…