MyBook hard drive probkems

I have recently had problems picking up my MyBook (World Edition) through my network, and seeing as Ethernet is the only way of accessing this hard drive I am desperate to try and backup all the content on it before I do any messing around.

I have retrieved the hard drive from the case and hooked it up to my PC as a secondary hard drive. However, it doesn’t get picked up in My Computer and has no drive letter assigned to it, nor a file system. The image below shows what I see in Disk Management… (disc 1 being that in question)

Does anybody have any ideas how I could use Windows to access the data on the disk so I can back it up?

Could we see the critical file system sectors with Microsoft’s Sector Inspector?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

Extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file. The procedure will generate a report file named SIout.txt which you can then upload to a file sharing service so that we can examine it.

The problem is that the HDD from the MyBook is formatted as EXT-3 (instead of FAT32 or NTFS) and Windows can’t read that file system.  If you don’t have access to a Linux pc to mount the drive, you could probably boot your Windows machine with a Linux boot CD and transfer your data that way.  If you’re not familiar with Linux, you’ll need to do some research first since there are too many steps to go in to detail here.  I’d start with a search for “live Linux CD” which will let you boot to Linux without installing it.  This is one of the simpler ones to use => Ubuntu Live CD

:smiley: