MyBook fell, still shows up under Devices, can't access

Hello, my cat knocked my MyBook hard drive off my desk and it no longer shows up as an accessible drive. I can find it along with my other devices under “Devices and Printers” but unlike my other drives I have no way to access the contents anymore. Has anyone seen this before where the drive appears fine and is recognized but isn’t able to be accessed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Well bad luck, usually when that happens you loose your information, just in case you might want to use a data recovery program to see if you can recover some files.

If the computer can’t access it in Disk Management you are probably out of luck with any software helping. Try burning a Linux Live CD and boot from that and see if you can access the data.

Joe

I had the same thing happen to me on a new HDD.  I have tried everything.  I have been trying since I bought the drive two weeks ago.  I have reformatted, diagnosed, updated, everything, still cannot access it.  This is my 5th WD drive and first time I have had problems.  I don’t know what Western Digital has done but I am very disappointed in their new drives.  External hard drives are simple devices.  I think WD needs to get back to the basics.

Sorry to tell you these drives are delicate and it doesn’t take much of a bump to mess them up. Watch these videos http://community.wdc.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/How-Hard-Drives-Work/td-p/321183 and you will understand better. Joe