MyBook Essential USB 3.0 problem

Glad I could help.  How about clicking that “kudos” star?  It won’t bring me fame, fortune, or women, but I like shiny graphics.

I’m afraid to try the new drivers.  My USB 3.0 card uses a Chinese knockoff of the Renesas/NEC USB 3.0 controller, so I’m not sure what would happen.  Not having any problems at all now, so I’m reluctant to mess with it.

1 Like

You well-deserved the star!  :smiley:

I’ve been disappointed with my rating advances on the ASUS member board.  :cry:  I haven’t moved above 35 for quite some time.

You should be able to tell whether the driver might work from Device Manager.  If you are currently able to use the Renesas driver then you should be able to use the new one.  If you are currently using a different one, then I wouldn’t try switching.

BTW, I share your fear.  I originally downloaded the driver from a French site.  Although the link said the site was safe, I didn’t trust it.  It wasn’t until I found this driver at Intel that I would use it.  I now have it working on two machines, but they both have legitimate Renesas controllers.

Thanks again!:smileyvery-happy:

I’ve been having a USB 3 issue with my 1TB MyBook.   Basically it works fine with usb2 but doesn’t recognise it using usb3.

Well I was given a seagate usb3 portable (early fathers day present).  This worked fine on both usb2 and usb3.  Well to my surprise when  I used the usb cable supplied with the seagate drive with my WD Mybook it not works fine, windows7 identified it instantly.   Now the seagate cable is only about 30cm long vs the WD cable at 90+ cms.  The long cable does not work with the WD drive but it does actually work fine with the seagate drive.  

I hope this is a solution to some of your issues.  I’ve been updating drivers and firmware, reading posts etc for days with no luck.  

Cheers

Dingo-Hunter

Thanks!

That may be of help.  However, you’d think that WD would be aware of the issue of they have been shipping poor quality cables wtih their drives.  I’m not sure where they would post something like that though.

I’ll have to give this some thought.

I wonder if this is a usb cable issue or a firmware issue. Either way, Western Digital really sucked on this one big time. I hope they address this problem immediately. Is this the right venue for them to hear us out?

I don’t exactly know *what* is going on here, but I am having a bit better luck with the latest USB 3.0 driver which I downloaded from Intel.

These issues are always complex because they involve hardware from several different manufacturers.  Nevertheless, I agree that WD should be on top of this.  They make the drives; and, if they don’t work properly, WD should be on top of the possible reasons.  I’m also a bit angry that ASUS had me replace their motherboard when it wasn’t their fault.  However, I’m glad that they were willing to give me a new board.

To all those who own Asus boards / notebooks…

I own an Asus G73JW and picked up a 3TB USB3.0 Essentials drive.  My laptop has USB3.0 on it, but uses a Fresco Logic controller for it.  I had the latest driver that Asus lists on their site installed for it and it wouldn’t recognize - and further actually kept hardlocking my machine - so I Googled around and the driver they list on Asus is outdated - I found my driver at  http://www.station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm and the drive worked right away and so far hasn’t locked up…

I’m not sure if it’d be the same as the motherboard drivers, but if you’re having problems and have the Fresco Logic controller see if you can update the driver and it might start working…

Just registered to share this with you guys because when I first got my laptop I spent a week troubleshooting to find that the fresco driver was screwing with my laptop and I remember it was [Deleted] painful so I thought I’d share so others could spare the hair :wink: