MyBook 2TB as a Network Share?

Hello, I have a WD TV Live and I am trying to access my MyBook 2TB drive where all my media is stored. I would like to view it as a “Network Share” instead of a Media server. However, it only shows up as a media server. Can someone walk me through setting the MyBook up as a network share? All the files are in the default shared folders on the MyBook, and I mapped the drive to my PC and can access it from the PC fine.

If you mapped the public folders on the drive from your pc then you are using it as a network share.  a share is nothing more than a folder that’s accessable over the network and can be read from, or written to, depending on how permissions are set up.  If you don’t want to use any of the media server capabilities, you can go into the drive’s user interface and turn that off.

It appears that my WD Live has a problem with seeing the shares on my network. I have to turn it off, reset it, re-enter the network connection info, etc. several times until the network shares finally show up. And sometimes once I turn the device off, I have to go through the whole process again next time I turn it on because it can’t find them again. Not sure if there is something wrong with the device or with my network. But like I said, the MyBook Live is mapped and I have no trouble accessing it from any other device in the house.

looks like the problem is on the WD TV Live then

Do you have the same issues when you access from a media server instead?

what firmware do you have?

Wizer - I don’t have any problems at all when accessing the MyBookLive as a media server.  It shows up every time.

The problem only occurs when trying to access it as a Network Share.

I’ve found a workaround that seems to fix the problem, but this is not a permanent solution and I may end up returning this thing.  When I go to workgroup on the WD TV Live, I just add an extra letter to the workgroup name and save.  Then I delete the extra letter and save again, and then the Network share appears.  It’s like I have to pro-actively remind it what the correct workgroup is.  I have to do this nearly every time I turn the box off.