MyBook 16TB Spins only if USB not connected

My external 16TB MyBook stopped working. It is not being recognized and in Disk Manager it asks me to Initialize the drive.

Whenever I plug the USB it starts making repetitive “funny” sounds, like two or three clicks and a short buzz, it repeats for a couple of times and afterwards it stops.

When I unplug the USB I can hear it spinning fine (very quiet) and then, when I unplug the power it can be heard that the spinning stops and then is heard what seems to be the heads returning to idle position.

Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

It sounds like the drive has physical problems. As it is probably a helium model, your data recovery options would be very limited.

Can you retrieve a SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl?

1 Like

It appears that your external 16TB MyBook drive is encountering hardware issues, likely related to its internal hard drive or components. The repetitive clicking and buzzing sounds you mentioned are typical symptoms of a mechanical failure within the drive. Before attempting any fixes, it is crucial to understand that opening the drive enclosure or trying DIY repairs can be risky and may lead to further data loss or damage. If the data on the drive is critical, it is strongly advised to consult with a professional data recovery service. They possess the expertise and specialized tools to handle delicate hard drive issues without causing further harm.

However, if you are willing to try some basic troubleshooting steps, you can start by using a different USB cable and connecting the drive to another USB port on your computer. Faulty USB cables or ports can sometimes cause connectivity problems. Additionally, testing the drive on a different computer will help determine whether the issue lies with the drive itself or your current computer’s configuration.

If the drive is detected in Disk Manager but not accessible, it might be suffering from corruption or file system issues. In this case, Disk Manager might prompt you to initialize the drive. Be cautious that initializing the drive will erase all data on it. Proceed with this step only if you are prepared to lose the data.

You can also try using data recovery software designed for faulty drives to attempt to retrieve your data before taking any further actions. However, if none of these methods prove successful, and the data on the drive is invaluable, it is best to contact the manufacturer’s support if your drive is still under warranty or seek assistance from a professional data recovery service. They have the necessary equipment and cleanroom environments to deal with physical drive issues. Remember, if you are uncertain about handling the situation yourself, it is better to seek professional help to avoid any potential data loss.

1 Like

I will try that. I’ll keep you posted.

Thank for the rapid responses

1 Like

Hi Eric,
Have your issue resolved?

Here are some troubleshooting suggestions for your external 16TB MyBook hard drive that is not being recognized:

1. The repetitive clicking and buzzing noises indicate a mechanical issue with the drive, likely a failed read/write head or seized spindle. This typically means the drive has failed and data recovery would require professional help.

2. Before giving up, try using a different USB cable and port on your computer. Also try connecting to a different computer entirely. This can rule out any USB/port issues.

3. If the drive is still not recognized anywhere, initialize it in Disk Management. This will erase all data but may get the drive functioning again.

4. Open the enclosure and remove the hard drive inside. Connect it directly to a computer’s SATA port via an adapter to isolate if the issue is with the drive itself or enclosure electronics.

5. If the bare drive doesn’t work directly connected, the drive itself has failed. Seek professional data recovery services, but chances of recovery are slim with mechanical failure.

6. If the drive works outside the enclosure, the enclosure’s board has likely failed. You can install the drive into a new enclosure to access the data.

I know hardware failures can be frustrating, but hopefully trying the various troubleshooting steps will help resolve the issue.