My WD TV Live Streaming Media Player stopped playing some AVIs

Mod edit: Moved post from  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus/WDTV-Live-random-avi-files-being-converted-to-folders/td-p/544999

Hello ladies & gents, 

I have read the 6 pages of this thread as best I can, but haven’t got a solution to my specific problem. If you can help I would be extremely grateful. 

The problem: 

• My WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Part # WDBGXT0000NBK) stopped playing some AVIs.
  • I did not (thank Christ!!) experience the converted file problem on my 2TB HD (my condolences to those who did!). 

My attempts at solving the problem:

• I tried rolling back the firmware as described by previous posts. The versions available are a bit different for my player and can be seen here:   http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/session/L2F2LzIvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzgyMDkxMTA3L3NpZC9kck5wYTVEbA%3D%3D
  • I went with 1.06.04, as it was the one before the one most popular in this post (which is for a slightly different player box).
  • Copied to a USB key (I am not 100% sure what the “root” is, I hope it’s the top/home folder?). I’m working in OS X, so drives have names, not  /E: but a name: this drive is empty, called “KEYCHAIN” and I put the 3 files from the DL into the top “KEYCHAIN” folder. If that’s wrong, please let me know! Could it be something to do with how this drive is formatted? Having said that, the player always reads my drives just fine when they have movies on them, so this is a long shot…
  • The process as described in the link above claims that an orange tab will appear called “Firmware Update”. Now, I noticed that after the last FW update (which caused the problem), there IS no longer such an orange tab! Firmware Update is now only found under Settings > Firmware Update
  • When I plug in the USB, a message says “connecting to USB” or something brief like that. No mention of “firmware detection” or “syncing with USB device” as claimed in the various instructions. Then it just goes to the homescreen.
  • Trying to manually update the FW, it just says “your player is up to date” (with the faulty, newest version).
  • I have reset, power cycled, etc after every attempt.

My question:

• How can I try to force it to update (i.e. roll back) to the files on the USB drive?

MANY THANKS in advance and I hope somebody can help. I can’t beleive WD are willing to ruin so many ppl’s entire movie collections without a bug fix. Good luck everybody :slight_smile:

jubeshark wrote:

• I did not (thank Christ!!) experience the converted file problem on my 2TB HD

So why post in this thread that’s specifically dealing with this problem?

You’re an “esteemed contributor” are you? :smileyvery-happy:

Read my post: it’s the SAME problem (faulty firmware initially not playing AVIs, then converting movies to folders) as LOTS of people are discussing on this thread. Not everyone lost their files, and I am trying to AVOID that further complication (the FW converting movies to folders) that has affected SOME of the people posting here. EVERYBODY on this thread is politely and helpfully discussing how to roll back their firmware - except you. So maybe the question should be: why are YOU posting here??

I’m sorry you are so lonely and sad that this is how you spend your time. I hope you cheer up soon :wink:

And why is it you think that anyone in this forum, that may know the answer, still may want to help you? And you’re still in the wrong thread.

Why? Because, after reading a 6 page thread carefully, posting an extremely polite and detailed and relevant post in the thread closest to my precise desires (rolling back firmware), some troll comes along to flame me?

If you actually read the question at the bottom of my thread (how do I roll back firmware - precisely what everyone on this thread is discussing), rather than being a troll yourself, you might try to be polite and helpful rather than rude and arrogant. 

My question:

• How can I try to force it to update (i.e. roll back) to the files on the USB drive?

Most forums flame newbies for posting new threads when a similar one already exists… I’m not asking about how to install a solar panel on my laptop. If you think there’s a better thread, why don’t you post a link to it? 

You have read all the pages carefully but have not realised that this not anything to do with the player that you have. You have a newer Live streaming gen3 which uses different firmware and there is no link between the firmware versions so rolling back to a version mentioned in this thread would be pointless. As has been said you are posting in the wrong thread and the wrong board for your player. 

This is your board.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions

By the way a question is not always a flame by a troll. On these boards you may be asked a number of questions and if you really want help you would be advised to just answer them without throwing around troll accusations.

jubeshark wrote:

Read my post: it’s the SAME problem (faulty firmware initially not playing AVIs, then converting movies to folders) as LOTS of people are discussing on this thread. Not everyone lost their files, and I am trying to AVOID that further complication (the FW converting movies to folders) that has affected SOME of the people posting here. 

Have any of your files been converted to folders or been damaged in any way?

Is your problem that some of your avi’s don’t play and by reading this thread you believe that they may turn into folders or be damaged in some way.

If your avi’s don’t play there could be a number of reasons why that is happening which have nothing at all to do with this problem particularly as you have a completely different player.

Hi and welcome to the community jubeshark, note that the guys are just making some observations, as you can see if you share information about your problem they will try to help. 

jubeshark wrote:
I’m sorry you are so lonely and sad that this is how you spend your time.

Lonely as in people agreeing with me rather than you? Yeah, right.

jubeshark wrote:

My question:

So, you simply can’t be bothered to use the search function to find “rollback”?