My WD passport is unrecognized

A couple of days ago my WD external hard drive was working fine, then I unplugged it for a few hours. Now when I plug it in a message comes up saying USB device not recognized. If you click on this message it says 'one of the USB devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.

I have nearly the same problem - I keptt having that problem, up until where the drive would not show up - but the VCD did. I tried plugging it into 3 different computers at different points, at which point the computer would freeze up. I tried WIndows XP (two different PCs) and a Windows 7. I wouldn’t so much mind if I didn’t have any important data on it  - but I had a video game project on it, and I had a lot of work put into it, and I really can’t afford to lose that work. I did bad sector scans and that failed. Now when I plug it in though, both show up but the drive shows up as ‘0 kb’

Now file system, is listed as “RAW.”

I have the drive, just not my receipt (bought it around Christmas '09 - nor do I have the boxing anymore.)

Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning. It was working fine when I shut everything down last night. This morning the only thing showing up is the stupid backup CD. The computer is not recongnizing the Passport at all. I get error messages and then nothing at all.

I’ve had problems with cord sensitivty, with space problems because of the back up files and now this. It’s under warrenty but why oh why would I want another WD, except that I cannot afford a new EHD at this point.

Does anyone, anywhere have a solution to this latest problem?

TIA

Hi , I had windows vista ultimate 64 bits and everything was going fine. But I  just upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits and now it cannot regonize my external storage. What Can I do ?

1 Like

Ok, so I have this problem all the time, but I use my device on different computers so I’ve gotten used to it, it’s not really a problem, all I have to do is unplug USB, from the computer AND the hard drive, then plug it into the hard drive well, so that all of it is in, and finally into the computer, then it recognizes it. That is only for my hard drive, maybe your’s has malfunctioned or maybe not, but that’s what works for me. I suggest trying it, you may as well I suppose. Good luck.

Did you have any luck getting this fixed?  The same thing happened to me last night.

my wd passport seems to be crazy, too. i bought it for my mom only to put a few family videos on the wd only to have it crash on me and warp from hard drive into a “WD SmartWare CD Drive.” i am sad to see these new defective models being sold  to trusting consumers expecting a working product : ( if anyone can recommend steps to take to reset the device as a hard drive, i would be very grateful!

That passport comes with a VCD that looks like a CD drive.  That’s because it has drive protection and utlities on that VCD.  You should also see the Passport as another drive on your computer.  If you don’t see it, then there could be a couple of reasons:

1. It may not be getting enough power to fully show the drive, in which case, you would need to get a power booster cable.  You should try it on another computer and see if it shows up.
  2. If you disconnect the drive without safely removing it, especially after copying files to it, you could have corrupted the partition.  In that case, the drive wouldn’t show up, except in Disk Management or Disk Utilities (Mac).  You will have to reformat it, to be able to use it, but you will lose what you copied over to it.
  3. Did you drop the drive?  That would destroy it.
  4. The drive has been damaged before you got it, or it’s malfunctioned.  In either case, you will need to replace it.

Dear friends,

I got a new Western Digital 500 GB, great equipment. However, I placed it into my executive luggage. For I open it, then HD fell in the soil and now notebook is not more recognized for mine. What I must make?

Please, answer me soon.

Thanks.