My WD Book essential 3TB won't stop writing

Hello
I have 2 WB My book essential 3 TB connected to my pc and one of them seems to be writing all the time ( I can hear a cycle of tic tic tic tic … Tic tic tic tic) The disk is accessible and I can read and save files on it and of course the writing noise stop when the computer is on sleep and the problem only occurs when the disk is idle. What’s going on with this drive?? I tried to disconnect the disk , and reconnecting it didn’t help neither shuting it down. Is this endless writing cycle is a normal process? I never heard this before on this specific disk nor on the other one !!! Please help!!

That can be a warning sign. Run a diagnostic on the drive and check if it does go to sleep if you enable the timer with the smartware setttings.

1 Like

Hello

I checked the disk with the chkdsk command prompt and no bad sectors were found and the disk seems to work find (reading writing wise) but like you said it sounds like a pre warning of an hardware failure… The disk is not old (2.5 years ) and is not used intensively at all.

I reformatted the disk but didn’t help: same writing noise when the disk is in idle state.

About Smartware:

QuicK Smart Status: PASSED

Quick Drive TEST : FAILED : Smartware try to access the drive (at this time the writing noise stop for 5 sec and then resume and the message of “Quick Drive Test Failed” appears in SmartWare)

Sleep Timer: WORKS

The WD Quick View show me both my disks with green dots, both not locked, and temp ok for both. Is there an other way to test the drive hardware or to see if a specific software is accessing the disk or it’s hopeless? 

Tatankha wrote:

Hello

I checked the disk with the chkdsk command prompt and no bad sectors were found and the disk seems to work find (reading writing wise) but like you said it sounds like a pre warning of an hardware failure… The disk is not old (2.5 years ) and is not used intensively at all.

I reformatted the disk but didn’t help: same writing noise when the disk is in idle state.

About Smartware:

QuicK Smart Status: PASSED

Quick Drive TEST : FAILED : Smartware try to access the drive (at this time the writing noise stop for 5 sec and then resume and the message of “Quick Drive Test Failed” appears in SmartWare)

Sleep Timer: WORKS

The WD Quick View show me both my disks with green dots, both not locked, and temp ok for both. Is there an other way to test the drive hardware or to see if a specific software is accessing the disk or it’s hopeless? 

That was the test I was talking about, the smartware one. If it failed then the drive is going bad, replace it while you can if you still have it under waranty.

Guess what?

The 2 years warranty just expired a month ago…and I thought WD was more reliable than other…great job!

Thanks for your help anyway

i would get the data off to aonther drive fast. Since it is out of warranty look in DLG that you used to test it and try formatting it by writing zeroes. Sometimes it will fix bad sectors there isn’t much to loose at this point.

Joe

1 Like

thanks

I will try this with no hope

Hello 

I wrote zeros on my disk and it seems to pass the test now. 

Now, how can I access the disk again (remount it on my desktop?)and do I have to reformat it?

How to re-isntall the system file on it?

Thank you

No it should be formatted now and ready touse.

Joe

hello Joe and thank you for your time

My disk doesn’t appear on my computer BUT:

I can see it in WD quick view but no letters is associate with it,

I can see it in WD smartware but “no writable partition found” message is shown and I can’t select the disk

I can see the disk in Device Manager under WD Drive Management devices (WD SES Device)

The Disk Management show me my disk with no letter name, and the disk partition is unallocated

So How to fix that ??

-------UPDATE-------: from Disk management (computer management) I used   “New Simple Volume” to apply setting (letter and format )to the disk: It solved the “unallocated” problem. The disk is now visible and seems to work fine!!! I’m right now trying to copy 1.5TB off data on it to test if my initial problem is solved too.-----------------

Thanks so much for your help!

Richard

Hello

After copying 1.5TB of data on my problematic disk , everytinng seems to work fine now!

No more writing noise so far and the disk passed QuicK Smart Status and the  Quick Drive TEST. The solutions was to write zeros on it (it took 22hrs to do it on my 3TB disk) and re-allocate the disk through Disk management (computer management in windows 7) using   “New Simple Volume” option. Still don’t know what happened (bad sector?) but I’m suspicious about Itunes after an update…

Thanks for the huseful help!

Richard

Turn off disk indexing for this drive.

looks like I am too late - but it was probably just the indexing feature the whole time.

I’ve had to turn off this function on large drives before because I thought I had some mystery trojan or something.