My slow MyBook Home Edition

I purchased the above 1.5T external HD on Boxing day and has since been trying to back up my data from my Pentium 4 CPU 3.0GHz, 3.0GHz RAM, desk top and XP Pro OS. So far less than 20G of data has been copied to the MyBook drive, out of 1T. This is insanely slow, and I’m about to return the unit to Futureshop. Note, I have reformatted the drive from FAT32 to NTFS, using the Windows the XP Disk Management utility. Is this the sort of performance I should expect with this drive? What else should I do to get this drive working properly?

You didn’t say which connection you are using, but I’ll bet it is the USB? Read the specs and like me, I think you will be happy with the speed of an eSATA cable, of course I had to get an ExpressCard (Belkin F5U239) as my laptop did not have an eSATA port.

It is all a journey and learning experience, good luck and happy trails :smiley:

MAKE SURE THAT IF YOUR USING USB CONNECTION THAT THE USB PORT THAT THE DRIVE IS PLUGGED TO IS USB 2.0 AND NOT 1.1 IN ANY CASE YOU CAN USE FIREWIRE 400 OR ESATA FOR FASTER TRANSFER RATE