My passport won't shut down properly. Help please

ex672c…Thanks for the thread into this issue. After I realized that I too had the same, it allowed me to research the problem, in both this forum(back to 2015) and Microsoft. I believe that the fix is in the Win10 Device Manager option

• assuming you want to always use the Safely Eject the Passport USB found in the inverted V tool tray by clock.

• type Device Manager in the Win Search, open to Disk Drives, rt mouse to Properties then Policies. Change the entry from Quick to Better.

• someone pointed to a Microsoft link that had a greater explanation. I did find some differences with info…however, it Worked!
    Windows 10 default media removal policy - Windows Client Management | Microsoft Learn

• I had 2 Passports so I was able to play with this option. After modifying, the PC must be restarted in-order to activate. Specific E or H drive was not identified.

• I even tried moving the chosen device to other USB ports, (Microsoft mentioned that it was port related change). I could not find this to be true, every port said,. Better Performance.

• I was then able to Safely Eject the specific device, wait for the Pop-up msg about safe eject…

• Note, if you do not physically remove, there is still power to the unit shown by the blinking LED lite.

• Reinserting the Device, activates the drive and a Explorer window appears.

• ex672…your link to the Power Management, I believe will power the unit (as I said, if you leave it connected after Eject, power is still going to it, so just remove the USB chord

• finally, under the Universal Serial Bus, I got this msg after Ejecting, but not Removing the Device. After doing so, and re-insert, I get a “Device working Properly”

Give this a Try!! I believe Manual Safe Eject eliminates issues that some App is writing to the USB when you pull the chord…and loose cache or messes up the drive itself. I even eject Flash drives by this method or the Eject that appears on the Explorer rt mouse.