My Passport Wireless Pro - System Recovery or Hard Drive replacement

Edit: removed my previous reply

This will be my last update until I actually make some real progress…

My custom firmware works with the original HDD but is having an error with a SSD. I’m not sure if it works with other HDDs yet. I recently bought a Samsung Evo 860 SSD (was very recently released) that I’m going to dedicate to getting this working. I will also get a different HDD to dedicate to this project to minimize writing to the SSD until I get it working…

FYI: the custom firmware is throwing the following error.
cat: can’t open ‘/sys/block/sd*/device/vendor’: No such file or directory
cat: can’t open ‘/sys/block/sd*/device/model’: No such file or directory

I’m not sure if the SSD doesn’t have these fields or what as the output from the firmware is very limited. I haven’t modified the image too much because my end goal is to barely modify the official image so it will be easy for others to make the same modifications since you shouldn’t always trust things shared on community forums… Plus, I’m not sure if the admins/mods/wd will like me linking to a modified image of the official firmware, even if I put the disclaimer that people will be using it at their own risk without support from anyone.

Hopefully I can create an image so getting a new drive in the device is as simple of powering on, holding the battery/copy button, and sitting back while it does it’s thing. I know I did manually create a replacement drive in Linux but prefer not to go that route since internal PC drives will change the instructions too much, a lot of people aren’t good with math (to calculate positions), secure boot issues, and Linux/command line scares many…

If anyone else has some knowledge and would like to help, please send me a message and I can create a discord channel or something where we can collaborate on getting this done.