My Passport SSD delay / going to sleep

I have a My Passport SSD 2TB and it is super slow to respond as it goes to sleep like a tradditional HDD and takes like 5-8 seconds to wake up.

It works fast when it is active, but if it stays inactive for like 2-3 mins it goes to sleep. This is very furstrating when playing videos as it get stuck for 5-8 seconds before start playing again.

So far I have tried the following

1. Set turn off HDD after 20 mins in powersettings
  2. Change removal policy to better performance
  3. Disabled USB power management

Hi @mkerala,

Poor or slow performance is usually caused by system configuration issues such as if the host does not have enough Cache or optimized Cache. In some cases, this could be related to running background programs, multiple connections to the pc, or outdated drivers which can impact benchmark results.

Please refer to the article Drive Performance Speed and Benchmarking:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/17047/kw/17047

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:Submit a Case | WD Support

I have other external storage devices and doesn’t have this issue. It is only specific to My Passport SSD. Before this drive I was using a My Passport HDD which didn’t had this problem.

Also, I don’t see any drivers avialable to download for this product.

Click on the Battery / Power icon in the taskbar and choose Additional Power choices to halt or prevent the SSD from going to sleep. Choose Change Plan Settings for your current Power Plan from the Control Panel box that appears. Choose Alter advanced power settings in the next box.
Click the plus symbol next to the Hard Disk option in the Power Choices window that appears. The necessary settings are located here under the Switch off hard disc after heading. Make the value 0 instead.
To quit, click Apply > OK. Using this setting, you can stop your hard drive/ssd from going into sleep mode.
Hope this help to prevent SSD in going to sleep mode.

1 Like

I have 3 WD Passport 2TB SSD units. There is no Battery/Power setting on my Dell All in One running Windows 11. also have a Dell XPS 17 which does have the Battery/Power setting… I have made the changes on the Dell XPS 17.
However, both computers and all 3 My Passport 2TB SSD still have the problem of lag time when trying to access them after a few minutes not using them.
It is an intermittent problem… Sometimes they will work as normal… Sometimes they take a long time to open a file. The drives always show in File Explorer.

1 Like

@ [mspain] Windows 11 it is bit different.

You have to go to Control Panel → Power Options → Select the current power Plan → Change advanced power setting

Look under Hard Drive setting → Turn of hard disk after.

It was just 1 min and I set it to 30mins or more.

I have changed a setting for PCI Express, which handles the external SSD connected by USB. I will try for a few days to see if that works.
The PCI Express is a couple lines below the hard drive setting.
Thank you for your reply.