My Passport SE won't show up in My Computer

I formatted my PC (Win XP to Win 7), and was trying to install the software of My Passport Essentials SE 1T when the PC suddenly stopped working and asked for restart. I restarted the PC, but it couldn’t recognize My Passport anymore, even though the software was installed.

I tried to connect it in other PC’s (Win XP) and even in a Mac, but it isn’t working anywhere, even though it’s still running (the light is glimpsing as if it was reading, and it’s not making any beeps or other sounds).

I dropped it yesterday, from a high about 10 inches. It was off, and when I connected it to a PC (Win XP) it was working fine, as if nothing happened. It was the only fall since I have it.

If anyone knows what happened and/or what should I do know, I’ll be really thankful.

andretanoue wrote:

I formatted my PC (Win XP to Win 7), and was trying to install the software of My Passport Essentials SE 1T when the PC suddenly stopped working and asked for restart. I restarted the PC, but it couldn’t recognize My Passport anymore, even though the software was installed.

I tried to connect it in other PC’s (Win XP) and even in a Mac, but it isn’t working anywhere, even though it’s still running (the light is glimpsing as if it was reading, and it’s not making any beeps or other sounds).

I dropped it yesterday, from a high about 10 inches. It was off, and when I connected it to a PC (Win XP) it was working fine, as if nothing happened. It was the only fall since I have it.

If anyone knows what happened and/or what should I do know, I’ll be really thankful.

Unfortunately, a drop of 10 inches is more than enough, by 91/2 inches, to cause complete failure of the drive.  You, most likely, will need to go to data recovery for any chance of recovering the data. 

Can you hear the drive spin up?

Can you see it in Disk Management? Device Manager?

Can you see the USB enclosure with Microsoft’s UVCView utility?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe

i have a same problem … my WD SE passport also i try to installed it and it does not recognize so i try ti download the link it say USB viewer and it show that my usb wd pass is there and i heard the driver spinning up again and again…

so im thinking that how it can be broken and why its doesnt show to my comp… i am really worried cuz my work for 3 yrs will be gone and i dont want to happen that… so anyone of you please help me.

Same problem. Stopped working yesterday evening. Wasn’t dropped or damaged somehow. HELP please.

If the drive doesn’t show up in UVCView, then you will need to remove the drive from its enclosure and connect it directly to your motherboard, or install it in another USB enclosure.

If it shows up in UVCView but not in Disk Management, this could be because UVCView is seeing the USB-SATA bridge chip in the enclosure rather than the hard drive behind it. You will still need to remove the drive in this case.

If the drive shows up in Disk Management but not in My Computer, then it may be that the file system is damaged.