My Passport reduces Internet connection speed by 1/2 or more

Hi,

I completely blew by Tony’s post the first time reading this post on my rush down to the Reply button, because I “knew” the issue. I had dealt with it many times as an ET in the USAF too many years ago. Heck, back then I repaired RF equipment like radar, etc… Sure glad I saw Tony’s post tonight. That paper confirms the diagnosis.

Let’s come up with a solution that helps. Aluminum foil wrap is one I have used in the past, and to be very effective the foil needs to be grounded, meaning attaching a light gauge wire to foil and metal on a PC (that’s encased in plastic)! Before doing that, just use the foil wrap if it is helping some.

Here’s a way to effectively use a longer USB cable, but it’s not directly attached to PC. Use a USB3 hub. By plugging drive into hub you can get the connector and drive farther away from PC with hub’s cable that directly attaches to PC. If you do not have a hub, and with only one port on laptop, you need one anyway, and here is another good reason for one. Wife and I each needed one when we got our new HP laptops a couple of years ago. Here is a link at Amazon for what we bought there for two laptops. The Plugable company that designs them is a Seattle company and I liked what I read at their website as well. Here is the link:

Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Charging-Support/dp/B008ZGKWQI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454204305&sr=8-2&keywords=plugable+usb+3.0+hub

Let us know the outcome of this adventure. Good luck.