My Passport for mac

Hi and hello.

Complete novice at this back up game, i have the My Passport for mac, bought it because my MBP 's hard drive is full.

Problem is i do not know how to use it to free up my hard drive, do i back up with the passport for mac then delete all the files (videos / pictures) etc.

Would appreciate a wolkthrough of somekind.

Thank in advance

Hello and welcome.

First I would like to explain something.

A backup is when you have your data saved on more than one place. If you transfer your data to the external drive and then delete your data from the computer it is not considered a backup. This is because if the external hard drive fails then you will loose all the data.

To know how to transfer files to the external drive please click on the link below.

How to copy or move files or folders to a different hard drive on a Mac 

2 Likes

Hi 

Thank you for that reply.

I am a little perturbed with the situation that  i now have, my hard drive is almost full (MBP,  retina), does that mean that it is more or less unusable to edit pics/ videos etc ?. i just don’t know which way to go about this.

Thanks for your help in any case.

I’d think you could do one of two things:

1. Buy a new bigger hard drive and install it in your macbook (that’s what I did).

2. Buy another bigger external drive. You could use the larger one to back up the lap top and the other external drive, and then use both the external and the lap top as drive spaces for storage.