My Passport for Mac isn't recognised

Help! I was using My Passport for Mac last night, safely ejected it and shut the computer down.  This morning I’ve logged on and am trying to access someone’s wedding photos which I am currently editing and the drive doesn’t come up.  The white light flashes but it doesn’t register in finder - or on my desktop… Any idea what I can do to make this work??  Thanks…

1 Like

Have you tried to see if your My Passport shows up in the disk utilities ?

Additionaly try to plug the drive into a different USB slot, or try it on a different device.

Let me know if it helps.

Hi. I have the same problem. My Mac dont see my external drive. I try to download again the drivers and updated, but nothing.  I really desperated because I had a lot a photos and videos. :cry:

I am having a similar issue. Do you have any additional suggestions? My Passport did not appear in the disk utilities and using a different USB slot did not resolve the issue either. My Passport will appear for a few seconds on my desktop and will then disappear. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Got exactly the same problem after installing El Capitan and solved the problem by following a tip posted here on WD community,
FOUND A SOLUTION
I was having this same problem, didn’t happen until I updated to El Capitan
I called apple, and had GREAT support from them, and we found the solution to my problem
There is “wd drive utility” software that would launch upon start up that creates the problem,
go here to delete it:
FINDER - GO - COMPUTER - LIBRARY - LaunchDaemons - com.wdc.WDPrivilegedHelper.plist
DELETE THAT FILE
Then, go to
SYSTEM PREFERENCES - USERS & GROUPS - LOGIN ITEMS - UNCHECK WD DRIVE UTILITY
unquote

That fixed the problem also for my 1TB My Passport for Mac.
Now the disk appears as it should in Disk Utilities and Time Machine works perfect!

1 Like

Same problem. I had one that I used for all my photos and editing, and never had a problem. I now purchased a second passport ultra to use as backup and I’ll be darned if now I can’t make either one stay connected to my IMac. They initially come up on my desktop as being accessible but then after about 45 seconds they disappear and anything I’m tryng to do reverts to a ‘please install Passport Ultra Drive’ message. So frustrating! I can’t wait to get information. I haven’t updated my operating system or anything different.

I would still recommend you to delete the . plst-file as mentioned, you find it here:
FINDER - GO - COMPUTER - LIBRARY - LaunchDaemons - com.wdc.WDPrivilegedHelper.plist

and then avoid launching WD Drive Utility by going to:
SYSTEM PREFERENCES - USERS & GROUPS - LOGIN ITEMS - WD DRIVE UTILITY and uncheck that

By that you avoid mixing a WD program with the already existing Apple Disk Utilities you have which gives you all possible alternatives to handle your disks, including your WD Passport Ultra.

Would be nice to know if this was of any help?