My Passport Essential SE:Not getting USB 3.0 Read/Write speed

I used to get high speeds then but know Im getting a speed of only 123KBps to 40MBps. I’m fed up with this speed. I updated the firmware. I checked the USB 3.0 drivers of my laptop, they were installed correctly. I tried my friends laptop but still the same issue. I formatted the drive. Sometimes the HDD doesn’t show up. I have to replug it, then it used to work fine. I connected USB 2.0 cable getting speed of 30MBps. I heard people saying that it will be around 100MBps in USB 3.0 mode. Leave it but some times the speed falls to 100KBps! Also it doesn’t get connected to some ports of my desktop with P4 processor(probably USB 1.0 ports)----------- Why is this happening??? Any suggestions? Please help…

You can try testing the drive with our Data Lifeguard Diagnostics software.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940

On the chance that the drive is in the process of failing, I suggest that you back up everything of importance immediately. Even if it is slow, a slow copy is way better than NO copy. There may be some other cause, but a drive going bad can be one cause of slow transfers. Better safe than sorry. :wink:

1 Like

I tried changing the cable. The speed increased upto 117MBps for about 10% and again fell down to 40MBps suddenly and the copying completed with constant 40MBps speed. Why did this happen???

Passed all tests in that software

Terabyte1010 wrote:

I tried changing the cable. The speed increased upto 117MBps for about 10% and again fell down to 40MBps suddenly and the copying completed with constant 40MBps speed. Why did this happen???

The higher rate is possibly a burst from the RAM cache on the drive itself. How large was the transfer?

I have benchmarked much higher sustained rates with a USB 3.0 enclosure, but that is with an RE4 Enterprise drive inside.

May be around 2GB of video files

you probely checked, but is it pluged into a 3.0 usb port on you pc.

if yes, check your CPU & memory are able to cope with these speeds.

I don’t know about Mac’s.

but on a windows pc press ctrl-alt-del, to start task manager.

then at the top, click performance.

it displays your CPU & memory.

now use your My Passport Essential again, while looking at the CPU & memory in the task manager.

if either max out, your PC’s memory or CPU is the problem.

their are tweeks you can do to improve them, depending on your PC.

but you might need an upgrade ?

of course other programs runing may be using your PC’s resourses.

some programs may run automaticaly after a time, if no keyboard or mouse input is detected.

or at certain times etc.

eg. your security software or other programs, that you may find in windows task schedular.

I just found the following & it may help you:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/How-to-eliminate-potential-problems-on-USB-Powered-Drives-and/td-p/118262

I hope this helps.

ps. I am no expert, so this could be unrelated to the actual problem ?