My Passport doesn't seem to want to work

I had backed up my old pictures, writings, mp3s etc. onto the 500Gb My Passport on my old computer which was running Windows 7. Now, as I try to get those files back, this pc with Windows 10 isn’t wanting to play nice with the external drive. It says there’s no driver, so I downloaded what I thought was the driver, but the computer didn’t seem to recognize that there was one after a couple of restarts. I also did a firmware upgrade, but again, this seemingly did nothing. Any ideas on how to get this drive working with my Windows 10 pc?

1 Like

Hi @WasatchRebel,

Please test the health of your drive using the Western Digital Drive utility:

Title: Setting up and using WD Drive Utilities
Link: How to Install and Use WD Security and WD Drive Utilities Features

1 Like

Yes. I have a similar issue except my desktop, running W10, had to be repaired so I backed up everything to my Passport, and the backup seemed to complete. I now have the PC back, but when I plug in the Passport, though it is recognized in devices and printers and device manager, it says “Driver is unavailable.” I have tried removing the drive and reconnecting it, and powering off the PC and restarting it, but that doesn’t help. What do you recommend?

Greetings,

We have reached out to you via direct message, so we request you kindly check and reply to your DMs so that we can assist you further.

Chris M

I tried to set up a support ticket as requested but received an error message upon selecting submit. Sorry to not reply more quickly but I was unable to. Here is my situation:

I had to have my PC repaired and my hard drive was erased in the process. I backed up everything to My Passport Ultra as I have in the past, with the software prompting me, etc. When I tried to restore the date to my repaired PC it didn’t work and the WD software to do so didn’t appear to be available. Though I had some on my OneDrive, it was not as current as I thought.

Thanks,

Walt Galloway

Walt & Hollie Galloway

353 Fry Pond Road

West Greenwich, RI 02817

Home: 401-385-9876 (preferred)

Mobile: 401-282-9311