My Passport can't eject or be stopped

I get error message “the WD My Passport is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged”

Sometimes the drive is still being used by programs due to open files or those files are not being released by the OS.
In this case - depending on your OS - you can run a command to list all open files on the drive.

Or if you are sure that there is nothing open and no read/writes are occurring, unplug it physically.

If you cannot securely eject your external drive Or WD Passport the problem is usually caused by one of the following factors:
If you’re experiencing difficulties ejecting or stopping your My Passport external hard drive, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Close all open files and applications: Ensure that you have closed any files or applications that are currently using or accessing data on your My Passport drive. This includes documents, media players, or any other program that may be accessing files on the drive. Once everything is closed, try ejecting or stopping the drive again.

2. Use the “Safely Remove Hardware” feature (Windows) : On Windows, you can use the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon located in the system tray (bottom right corner of the screen) to eject your My Passport drive safely. Right-click on the icon, select your external drive from the list, and wait for the notification that it is safe to remove the drive. On Mac, you can use the eject button next to the drive in Finder or drag the drive icon to the trash to eject it.

3. Restart your computer: Sometimes, there may be processes or applications that are still accessing your My Passport drive without your knowledge. Restarting your computer can help clear any lingering connections and allow you to eject or stop the drive.

1. Disconnect the USB cable properly: If you’re using a USB connection, make sure you’re disconnecting the cable properly. Avoid simply pulling out the cable as this can cause issues. Instead, firmly but gently remove the cable from both the drive and the computer.

2. Use disk management tools: If the above steps don’t work, you can try using disk management tools to force the eject. On Windows, you can open Disk Management by right-clicking on the Start menu, selecting “Disk Management,” right-clicking on your My Passport drive, and choosing the “Eject” or “Offline” option. If you will forcefully eject then chances of data loss is there, so its better to take backup or use data recovery software.

6. Power off your computer and then disconnect the drive: As a last resort, you can power off your computer, wait a few seconds, and then disconnect the My Passport drive. It’s important to ensure that your computer is completely powered off before disconnecting the drive to avoid any potential data corruption.

Remember, it’s crucial to safely eject or stop your external drive to prevent data loss or drive damage. If you consistently encounter issues ejecting or stopping your My Passport drive, it’s recommended to contact the manufacturer’s customer support for further assistance.