My older WD 4708A external drive starts to power up, but then stops

I’m getting desperate! I have an older drive (I think 2 TB), that when I plug in, I can feel the drive starting to spin, but then a few seconds later, stops. I have tried so many times, plugging in and unplugging, and plugging in again, but I can’t get it to stay on. The light never comes on.

I have a ton of stuff on there that I really need! Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, can you share the solution?

The spin-down symptom is indicative of a head/media fault. Not DIY, unfortunately. :frowning:

Thank you! Will the data be able to be recovered?

If the fault is confined to the heads, then professional recovery should be possible with a headswap. If the media is damaged (eg scratched), then results will vary.

BTW, WD’s “partners” will charge you 2 or 3 times the price of smaller, but competent, data recovery companies.

1 Like

No, I prefer a local company. Have several in town to choose from. On a scale of 1-10, ten being highest, what do you think the cost would be. I can provide another drive to transfer it to.

When I plug in the drive, I notice it starts spinning initially, but then after a few seconds, it abruptly stops. Oddly, the drive’s indicator light doesn’t even come on during this process. I’ve tried multiple attempts of plugging and unplugging, hoping to find a solution, but so far, the drive just won’t stay powered on. The catch is, this drive holds a significant amount of crucial data that I desperately need.
rainguardroofs

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues with your WD 4708A external drive. There are a few potential reasons for the problem you’re describing. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and possibly resolve the issue:

1.Check Power Source and Cable: Make sure you’re using a reliable power source and a working USB cable. Sometimes a faulty cable or insufficient power can cause drives to malfunction.

1. Test on Different Computer/Port: Try connecting the drive to a different USB port on your computer or even a different computer altogether. This can help determine if the issue is with the drive itself or with the computer.

2. Listen for Unusual Noises: When the drive starts spinning up and then stops, do you hear any unusual clicking, buzzing, or grinding noises? Unusual noises can indicate physical damage to the drive.

3. Data Recovery Services: If you have critical data on the drive that you can’t afford to lose, and the drive is physically damaged, you might consider reaching out to professional data recovery services. They have specialized tools and expertise to retrieve data from damaged drives. However, this can be expensive.

4. Check for Disk Utility: If you’re using a Windows computer, you can try going to the Disk Management tool to see if the drive is recognized. If it’s recognized but not accessible, there might be file system or partition issues.

5. DIY Data Recovery Software: If the drive is recognized but inaccessible, you could try using data recovery software

6. Contact Manufacturer Support: If the drive is still under warranty, consider contacting Western Digital’s support for assistance. They might be able to provide guidance or replacement options.

7. Heat and Ventilation: Sometimes drives can overheat, causing them to stop functioning. Ensure that the drive has proper ventilation and isn’t placed in a hot environment.

8. Last Resort: If you’re willing to take some risks and the data is not critical, there are instances where gently tapping the drive or even freezing it for a short time (in an airtight bag to prevent condensation) has temporarily allowed some people to access their data. This is not a guaranteed solution and can potentially cause further damage.

Remember that if your data is very important, it’s best to consult with professionals before attempting any risky solutions.
Please be aware that trying some of these solutions might involve risks to your data or the drive itself. If your data is critical and irreplaceable, it’s recommended to consult with a professional before attempting any potentially damaging solutions.

I have an external WD drive (2TB) that I’ve been using for backups, but recently, it’s stopped being recognized by my computer. When I plug it in, the drive’s LED lights up, and I can hear it spinning, but it doesn’t appear in my file explorer. I’ve tried connecting it to different USB ports, using different cables, and even on another computer. I have critical data on this drive, and I’m really worried about losing it.