My new Book Essential 1 TB USB 3 disconnects

I just added a new My Book Essential USB3.0 drive to my newly built Win7 64 bit system a few days ago. The first couple of days it worked perfectly without any problems. I still have no problems reading or writing to it. The problem is it somehow disconnects. So far it hasn’t happened while I was accessing it. It just disappears from the Computer drives folder randomly. I first noticed the problem when I went to the Computer folder and saw that the drive wasn’t listed. I checked Device Manager and there were no error messages concerning drivers or anything. I rebooted my system and the drive was found and usable again. Since then the same thing has occurred a few more times. I either have to reboot the system or remove and reconnect the power cord for the drive to be found. When I backup files to it, it works great. It is very fast. I did not install the SmartWare software because I have a backup program I like that works fine. I find no need to install a bunch of programs I don’t need. Could not installing SmartWare be the cause? I would very much appreciate any assistane. I really like the drive and hate to have to return it.

Try looking in the Advanced Power settings and see if sleep is enabled for that USB. It sometimes caused problems in USB 2.0.

Joe

Joe_S wrote:

Try looking in the Advanced Power settings and see if sleep is enabled for that USB. It sometimes caused problems in USB 2.0.

Joe

Thank you very much Joe. I can’t find the advanced power settings. Is that in the BIOS? I have a desktop. I think advanced power setting may be a laptop setting, I’m not sure. Anyway the problem is worst now. Now the drive is not found during boot up. I have to disconnect the power cable and reconnect it. Once I do that the OS finds the drive and it works without any problems.

In the control panel power options mine is on balanced click change plan settings then look under the display and sleep settings there should be advanced power settings click it will open and just find USB and disable selective suspend settings . sometimes it worked for USB 2.0

Joe

OK I found and disabled it. I have backups scheduled very early every morning using a program called Backup4all. This morning I found that the backup was aborted because the program could not find the destination drive (the WD external drive). The drive is listed in my computer. I never had that happen in the 3 or 4 years I have been using the program. It is very reliable. I’m giving your suggestion a try. If that doesn’t resolve the problem the drive goes back to Best Buy. Thanks again Joe.