My external passport

I was on the phone today for 6 hours with a Dell Tech. After he had finished I noticed that my Passport External hard drive was not being recognized by my computer any more.  I asked the tech about this and he said there is probably something wrong with the Passport.  I have a lot of important pictures and documents on the Passport and now I can’t retreive them because my computer won’t recognize it.  HELP!!!  I’m very  frustrated and I fear I’ve lost everything I have on the Passport.  What can I do?

did you try using a different cable, different port, different computer?

Check and see if the drive still shows on Disk Management

I was about to take my WD Passport to the computer guy to have him try to fix it, (my computer wouldn’t recognize it.)but I thought I’d give it one more try. this time my computer recognized it.  It wouldn’t recognize is all day yesterday and all evening.  Now i’m afraid to use it for fear this will happen again.

thanks for the help.  but my computer recognized the Passport today.  I’m just wondering if this will happen again. I’m afraid to put anything on it now.

Try a different cable. They had a batch a while ago that didn’t lock in very well and made poor contact.

Joe

Kingdon wrote:

thanks for the help.  but my computer recognized the Passport today.  I’m just wondering if this will happen again. I’m afraid to put anything on it now.

What type of computer?

If desktop… make sure to always connect to the port on the back

if laptop you will need a power booster

So what’s to keep it from happening again? i worry about that and am now afraid to put anything important on the Passport.

Contact WD about a new cable or a Power Booster cable. It could be a bad cable or power issue. Also remember never trust important data to just one drive. You need at least 2 copies of data to be safe.

Joe

WD is sending me a free power cable after I called them and told them my problem. thanks for the heads up.