My experience with N900

Installation using a browser was very easy and smooth took about five minutes. I wish WD had printed the default ip address 192.168.1.1 and log in user name and password on the label on the bottom of the router. There is a cooling fan at the bottom and I wish cooling was done without a fan. A fan is bound to fail in time. There are ventilation holes at the bottom and there are four rubber feet to keep it off the ground. The feet are too small. In my office the router is under the desk and needs better circulation to keep it cool. WD could have provided 1/2" high rubber feet to provide enough clearance at the bottom when router rests horizontally. This issue has come up in pancake type routers from Linksys. I have devised a mod by sticking four 1/2" vinyl or plastic end caps (looks like bottle caps and can be picked up at local hardware store) to the four corners of the bottom of the router using picture mounting double side adhesive tape. This keeps router cool with better circulation. Free tech support from WD is only for 30 days after your first call. Hats off to Cisco and I have received free tech support from their technicians years after router was purchased and in some cases I was the second or third owner. Linksys has 24/7/365 tech support and WD has 8am-9/7pm and no support on major holidays. Customers expect 24/7/365 support when their router malfunctions or there is a problem. WD needs to fix this issue soon or there will be many unhappy customers who will go to Linksys or other vendors with better tech support. More later after using it for some days.

Thanks for sharing this 

this could be a deal breaker for some users

1 Like

Senzar wrote:

Installation using a browser was very easy and smooth took about five minutes. I wish WD had printed the default ip address 192.168.1.1 and log in user name and password on the label on the bottom of the router. There is a cooling fan at the bottom and I wish cooling was done without a fan. A fan is bound to fail in time. There are ventilation holes at the bottom and there are four rubber feet to keep it off the ground. The feet are too small. In my office the router is under the desk and needs better circulation to keep it cool. WD could have provided 1/2" high rubber feet to provide enough clearance at the bottom when router rests horizontally. This issue has come up in pancake type routers from Linksys. I have devised a mod by sticking four 1/2" vinyl or plastic end caps (looks like bottle caps and can be picked up at local hardware store) to the four corners of the bottom of the router using picture mounting double side adhesive tape. This keeps router cool with better circulation. Free tech support from WD is only for 30 days after your first call. Hats off to Cisco and I have received free tech support from their technicians years after router was purchased and in some cases I was the second or third owner. Linksys has 24/7/365 tech support and WD has 8am-9/7pm and no support on major holidays. Customers expect 24/7/365 support when their router malfunctions or there is a problem. WD needs to fix this issue soon or there will be many unhappy customers who will go to Linksys or other vendors with better tech support. More later after using it for some days.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.  WD does provide 24/7/365 support for our Home Networking equipment.  You can find our support number here:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en&ct=networking

1 Like

Senzar wrote:

There is a cooling fan at the bottom and I wish cooling was done without a fan. A fan is bound to fail in time. There are ventilation holes at the bottom and there are four rubber feet to keep it off the ground. The feet are too small. In my office the router is under the desk and needs better circulation to keep it cool. WD could have provided 1/2" high rubber feet to provide enough clearance at the bottom when router rests horizontally. This issue has come up in pancake type routers from Linksys. I have devised a mod by sticking four 1/2" vinyl or plastic end caps (looks like bottle caps and can be picked up at local hardware store) to the four corners of the bottom of the router using picture mounting double side adhesive tape. This keeps router cool with better circulation. 

Thanks for the review but I wonder why users assume that major companies don’t know what they are doing. There are various fans in my computers which are on all the time and they have never failed. Do you know how the fan works, is it on all the time or only when the temperature has risen to a certain figure - is it on now? How do you know that it needs better circulation, did you try it without your mod and did it cease to work or the did the fan come on and cool it down?

Would it not be helpful if WD technical staff respond about the cooling issue. Customers who take the time to post messages here are trying to help WD to improve their products which is a win-win situation.

Two of the competing top of the line routers from linksys and asus are 100% solid state with no mechanical component. I have seen fans failing in dusty environment. There are mods from router enthusiasts to deal with heating issues and can be found on Internet by googling.

Senzar wrote:

Would it not be helpful if WD technical staff respond about the cooling issue. Customers who take the time to post messages here are trying to help WD to improve their products which is a win-win situation.

Two of the competing top of the line routers from linksys and asus are 100% solid state with no mechanical component. I have seen fans failing in dusty environment. There are mods from router enthusiasts to deal with heating issues and can be found on Internet by googling.

Is there a cooling issue? Is your fan on? Is your router overly hot?

when i first got my 900 i saw the cooling holes and the rubber feet and i wasnt convinced and thought it would overheat…but im telling u, i leave it on 24/7 and it has never gone very hot or anything like that…

and WD now has 24/7/365 support for THE ROUTERS, u can find the number on the box or on the site www.wdc.com