My Cloud transfer speeds are very slow

I have a 3TB My Cloud network drive setup with the latest firmware and my transfer speeds are very slow. I have everything setup correctly and yet I am only transferring around 2 to 5MB/s. My network is a gigabit network and both of the lights are green on the back of the hard drive. I have disabled my firewall to see if that was causing the problem and nothing. Sometimes I will be transferring files and it will just freeze halfway and stop. This is pretty frustrating and hopefully someone can help me out.

I have passed this along to support.

Regards,

Are you on wireless or wired?  Have you check the computers connection to the network?  Have you tried rebooting the network devices including the My Cloud?

I am wired through my router and so is the external drive. I have reset the modem and the drive numerous times and no change. I have noticed that if I transfer smaller files like lets say a mp3 it is pretty fast, but when I got to move a file more than 50MB it is really slow. This is pretty annoying since I have a lot of MKV files that I need to move and watching them go 1MB/s is pretty lame.

When I first got my drive I wanted to transfer a few TB of data onto it and experimented with a single file a few ways to do it by copying the file and writing down how long it took to copy it with each different setup.   Long story short, I found one of the network cables it came with for some reason was transfering the data much slower than the other one it came with.  If you have spare cables, try a different one just to make sure it’s not a cable.  I can’t explain why, but it took 3 times the amount of time with the bad cable.  I canned that cable and just use a different one.  Cables are cheap and in this world of mass production you can get a bad one every now and then. My drive has worked great outside of the bad cable.

Not really related, but I was copying from a USB2 external drive hooked up to my laptop and sending it through the router the WD Mycloud was hooked into.  I have read lately that since one of the updates you can hook the drive directly to the mycloud drive and it will copy it direct as opposed to having to hook a usb drive to your computer and sending it through the network.  I have not tried it, but if what I read on this forum about it working that way now it would be quick and since it transfers direct, you could even do it while connected wirelessly with the computer so no wires at all connected to the laptop and same transfer speed.

@ SolGoode
Did you get any help for this yet?
Seems like everyone is having the same problem, and I don’t see any movement on it yet from the WD end. So, just wondering if they gave you an ETA on a fix, or what…

No I haven;t actually.

There are two likely  problem areas that can contribute to slow transfer speeds - 1) your network and 2) competing processes running on the WD My Cloud (i.e. scanning software).

After spending many hours optimizing my home network performance I was still seeing slow transfer speeds (WIFI or wired ethernet) on large data transfers to the WD My Cloud (writes).  Disabling media serving globally or on a per share basis does not help.  Twonky and/or iTunes Server are not the root cause of the problem.  There are two or more processes that run on the NAS that are responsible for scanning files and converting thumbnail images.  These processes are in support of the “Cloud” feature and access to your NAS from mobile devices using the WD mobile applications.  There are posts on this forum which show how to disable these running processes but doing so will void your warranty.

Anytime you copy/move/delete/rename files and directories on your NAS these processes go to work.  They consume CPU resources but more importantly they consume Disk I/O resources.  While they are running your file transfer speeds will suffer dramatically (especially writes).

I am waiting for some word from WD support on a “supported” fix to this problem; one that does not void the warranty.  Seems to me that is the least they can do under the circumstances.  I shouldn’t have to disable a major feature and void my warranty just to make the NAS useable.

I have no idea what it could be. I have a SD hard drive and another hard drive connected through RAID. I have had my cables tested and the throughput is able to handle what I am doing so I am not sure what is causing it to be so slow. My network is setup correctly as well. I’m guessing it must be a Windows issue or something software related at this point.

SolGoode wrote:

I have no idea what it could be. I have a SD hard drive and another hard drive connected through RAID. I have had my cables tested and the throughput is able to handle what I am doing so I am not sure what is causing it to be so slow. My network is setup correctly as well. I’m guessing it must be a Windows issue or something software related at this point.

SolGoode, all you have to do is read the numerous posts on this forum regarding slow file transfers.  Once you have ruled out your network as a potential bottleneck you still have the WD scanning software to contend with.  This problem is there for all users of this product.  Don’t expect any help from WD support on this either.  Been there and tried that already.