I wanted to give another update.
Everything seems to be working once again! I am outside my home network and able to download documents and when I was home earlier, I was able to access my files as well. Last night I did some further exploration through the message board and someone had suggested turning off remote access while doing the quick diagnostic test. That seemed to have done the trick as this time it did not hang on 90%. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to repeat the same results to complete the full test so I am hoping the quick test was sufficient.
The inidcator light is blinking green still. It did stop blinking green when I disabled the remote access (it was a steady green). I can access my files away from home so I guess that is okay for the time being.
The MyCloud software still does not automatically pick-up that the drive is on the network as it once did when I first bought it a couple of months ago. I can still access it by generating an activation code or logging in to my wd2go account within the software. I am able to map the drive and access it manually through my network. I am not sure what is going on here as the WD Network/Hard drive utility tool sees the drive and populates data (status, temperature, data in use).
Web access via a browser is still a no go. I can’t access it through Chrome or Firefox. I can login via Internet Explorer (ugh) but everytime I am redirected automatically to Oracle’s Java download page.
For now, I’m content as I don’t have to remember to load documents at home to use away from it but it would be nice if I was completely error free.