My Cloud Home Transfer Speeds - Share VS Private (cloud) Folder

New owner of this Cloud Home series NAS.
Previous owner of many of the previous Wd My Cloud NAS.

I’ve got very confused by the fact that the drive has no local web interface or ssh/ftp features.
Then I found that you cannot create folders as the old My Cloud models and mount them (MAP). (wtf serious now?)

Then I found that private user folders needs internet connection for authentication.
THEN I found you can’t even disable Cloud Connection (Like the old My Cloud) and use it Locally.

Great idea btw not having AT LEAST 2step authentication. Are you sure there is no backdoor passwords this time? :wink:

Now to the point of this topic.

Why Private folders are limited to ~66mb/s ? Public Folder is full gigabit speed (AS IT SHOULD)

private
local

1 Like

Private User Space is CBFS (Call Back File System) Network Mounted Drive, content is thumbnailed and indexed and Public Share is Windows SMB (Samba) Network Share, is not indexed or thumbnailed.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=19476&s=

So CBFS is a very slow filesystem. Thumbnail or indexing is not the problem here are the transfer is a single 5gb file.

Also there is one more (big) problem.

The max speed when I drop a file through the web page is 70mbps. The avg is half. Again, the file is a single 5gb file. I’m still on the same ethernet gigabit connection.

1 Like

Check your Web and Computer connection to see if it’s Local, Direct or Proxy.
Local or Direct (port forward) should be faster than Proxy connection.
The only way for force a MCH to Port Forward mode is router UPnP because the external ports are randomly assigned.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18971&s=

Connection is Local (Green Light)

Ok, so from what I understand ~66mb/s for Private user space (CBFS) is NORMAL.

How can you explain then this,
If I DISABLE INTERNET ACCESS from the network, PRIVATE user (CBFS) transfer speed is ~112mb/s (Full Gigabit)

WHY Internet access LIMITS LOCAL transfer speed?

CBFS is NOT the problem here or the actual hardware. Something is terribly wrong in the software.

2 Likes

@cmos how you can get that speed on your MHC??? as I see, in Local mode, data not transfer through the LAN, it transfer through internet and turnback MHC (so speed is very slow). My Internet’s speed is 24mbps, and i just can up/download to/from MHC at 24mbps too (in both Local & Rely mode)? Thank you!

Transfers through the WEB UI - EVEN in the same network are limited. Worst software I’ve ever seen.

Now, transfers through the WD Discovery (private folders mounted) are limited by the system (again) but at much higher bandwidth. Forget what WD says about hardware limit etc. It’s all in the software. You can hit max bandwidth (1gbit) through SMB Public folder or if the network is disconnected from the internet.

Both of these are pretty good speed. I am getting a quarter of that right now even after applying all recommendations, using gigabyte ports/cables, and turning off all services.

Is there a way to check the speed when uploading/downloading through web UI?

I have the same problem…

As a router I have a Mikrotik RB750Gr3, which is connected to a gigabit switch TP-LINK TL-SG1024. I have a cloud and a PC connected to the switch. All devices in the network are connected by cables of at least cat6a. When I find the “Public” SMB volume in the network, there is no problem with the transfer speed (~115MB/s). If I transfer data via WD Discovery, I reach a maximum speed of 18MB/s. Cloud software version is 7.9.2-103.

Please comment from Western Digital staff.