My Cloud Home Duo on Mac High Sierra - slow but now working!

I bought the Home Duo as a mirrored and larger solution compared to my old Time Capsule.

Been fighting for weeks now to get the Time Machine backups to complete and now it appears to be totally incompatible with High Sierra? I even tried Carbon Copy but that doesn’t want to play nicely.

Will WD be updating the software or is this thing destined for the trashbin now?

I am NOT happy. Was advertised as Mac compatible,

@jduval My Cloud Home Duo is compatible with macOS Sierra and supports Time Machine backups. Please provide a bit more detailed information so the WD Community can assist with your issues.

Mac OS Sierra as you know is version 10.12 and compatible with these products

Mac OS High Sierra is version 10.13 and NOT fully compatible with these products

WD Discovery is the only compatible part and NOT Time Machine - which is for most people using a Mac the #1 choice for backups.

High Sierra 10.13 was released 9 months ago on the 25th September 2017 and Beta before that…and is the latest software and obvious upgrade for serious users.

It is very unfair that you advertise the products as being Mac compatible.

Can you provide more detail?
Where did you receive information that My Cloud Home is not compatible with macOS High Sierra? Is there a URL that contains the information?

Time Machine is supported on macOS versions listed below:

macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
macOS 10.11 (El Capitan)
macOS 10.10 (Yosemite)
macOS 10.9 (Mavericks)
macOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
macOS 10.7 (Lion)
macOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
macOS 10.5 (Leopard)

Please update the version of macOS being used to the latest release.

Ironically the latest release is 10.13 which is not supported?

But I would love to be wrong of course - in my case it kinda started working but would never complete a backup.

I can see you have updated that page to show support for High Sierra.

I have deleted all the previous Time Machine backups including the “snapshots” on my hard drive which I think “may” have been a problem having read some other threads, renamed some things, changed some powersave settings, plugged the WD Home Duo in directly to the laptop etc and giving it another try.

Time Machine kinda works on High Sierra but only via AFP not SMB which would be more futureproof.

In addition, so far I have had reliabIlity issues.

For more information regarding MCH and Time Machine over SMB: https://community.wd.com/t/macos-proper-time-machine-support-i-e-over-smb/223381/5

OK, well having deleted all previous snapshots of Time Machine via Terminal commands, and connecting the Home Duo almost directly to the Macbook I have managed to get a full backup completed!! I can also access via Finder and see the TimeMachine files.

So I am a happy camper for now.

p.s. It was however very very slow compared to my 3TB old Time Capsule that I was actually trying to replace. I first did a brand new backup overnight onto the Time Capsule (via the same network cable) and then the identical backup onto the Home Duo which took about 48 hours for the 450Gb so was around 3 times slower. But I had read before purchase the the WD Home Duo was slow. Hopefully not a problem as of course only gonna do incremental backups now.