My Cloud Home and SanDisk ibi - Important Update About Access To Your Files

Absolutely.
In my case the step-up cost of a plan that gives me high upload speeds, doesn’t even come close competing with the cost of a great cloud service, like G.Drive, otherwise I would rather have my data on my own hardware at home with a fast connection for remote access, but then again I am not sure if I could make it as secure for remote access.

I don’t know about that, but this particular thread is specifically about “MCH” and ibi being down, affecting people’s access to their data. Here check this out, you’ve been irrelevant and off topic all along :rofl:

Now we’re done!

HI All, interesting discussion going on in this thread and unfortunately getting a bit heated as is the way in Social Media. I’d just like to give my two pence/cents worth on this.

I have not had to look under the bonnet/hood of my MCH Duo or needed to review my purchase choice since buying it, in what seems to be an eternity ago, without much going wrong.

Background, we are a family business working from home and we continue to have to work when travelling especially abroad.

At the time, back in I think around 2018/2019, when we were deciding how to replace the first WD network drive we had (called something like ‘White Book’) due to space, a tempting option was to go with Google Drive. This would give us full access at all times globally and reduce the need to carry with us data that we think we might need.

The issue came to the trust we had with Google in using our data, which is financially and personally sensitive. Having Google happily search and sift through that seemed at the time too much intrusion. Also who actually owned it if its on their platform ? What would happen if they had a Denial of Service for a substantial time? Who do we go for support if there is an issue ?

The key benefits of MCH Duo were 1) physically keeping the data within our home firewall 2) two disks that would reduce the impact to a single disk failure - our duty was primarily to keep a backup 3) access outside our firewall.

This recent outage showed that reliance on WD Discovery was a major risk. I feel we should have been made aware of Local Access at the beginning or that it should be a default, not sure why we were not. This would mean as I understand it, full and faster access inside our firewall.

Going forward, it seems that WD Discovery support is being phased out and perhaps the service already has been since the data breech. Therefore legitimate external access is not possible so we will have to seek an alternative solution.

Yes. Never again with Western Digital.

Doesn´t work! After following the guidelines all I got is a web page asking me to use the mobile app to sign in! I´m stuck! the sign in doesn´t work obviously and even the mobile app can´t be used!
Any ideas how to solve this in a way to use the Local Access?
Thank you

That question would apply to any entity that you would use their cloud services (not just Google), including the current live scenario that we are going through with WD here, still not up.

Agreed. It took almost 9 days for them to come up with this temporary solution while customers really don’t have a recourse. Not right.

Making it a habit to have more than just one backup of everything, is the best policy forward. Why not have two or even more backups on several drives locally and then use a fast and reliable cloud service like Google Drive to hold a backup of only a few folders that you absolutely need on the road, for your mobile needs or when you are away for extended periods.
The problem with WD MCH solutions (or any other home network ) is remote access, which can be very slow due to ISP limitations on upload speeds and the size of files that you need to handle. If they are just short and simple Word, PDF or spreadsheet documents with no images or video clips, then a standard internet speed is good enough for remote access, however this is an inherent problem with any local network that you setup, unless you pay a premium for fast upload speeds, but then that should be a business decision that would make sense for you because fast internet upload service is pretty pricey.
Bear in mind that once you access your safe and secure local network remotely, you will be using the internet and most unauthorized access starts when data is stolen while it is in transit on the internet, so if you choose remote access to your home network, you will also need to protect your data for remote access and that’s an entirely separate subject that can get pretty complex.
So there, here’s my 2 cents .
Have a great day.

1 Like

It worked fine for me on the first attempt, when I followed their instructions on a laptop PC running W11 and Chrome browser.
You really only can setup local access with this solution, from your PC, not a mobile device.
So maybe if you can tell us what you did on your PC, step by step, someone here can help you get it running.

Hi SamManz

thanks for the reply. I´m using a Windows 10 PC with Chrome. As I said I follow the WD guidelines and videos to get Local Access.
First I try the IP, after the Hostname. But when I should see the Local Sign In option, appears a Web Page with the Mobile App (that I use since I bought my Cloud Home) and on the bottom a Sign In to continue, after I use the mobile app to enable local access.
Of course, none of the options works! So I´m totally stuck! I can see the MCH on my Network but the rest is unavailable.
I can´t understand it!!! Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi, could you post some screenshots of whats happening ?
Are you stuck when trying to open the ‘Dashboard’ to your device i.e.

http://mycloud-[your last 6 digits of Serial Number]/static/login

does not work ??

Hi nadim

the last 6 digits option of my serial number is another option I tried, but it´s the same! All I have is that Web Page with the Mobile App asking to sign in. So it´s useless!
At this point I can´t post screenshots because I´m working, but later I will try to show the Web Page
Thank you for the reply

Hi, try this: power down the MCH device for 30 seconds before restarting, also reboot the PC and clear down the cache on the browser to prevent an old web page from appearing.

Hi nadim

Thanks for the suggestion. I try your suggestions but the problem remains. I´m sending some images with the mentioned page. For now I’m still stuck! Its frustrating. Anyway thank you for the help

! Thanks

Hi, It seems like a different webpage to mine. I am using MCH Duo, what WD product are you using ?. Could you put through all the text starting with ‘Obrigado por…’ and upto to ‘…clique em iniciar’ into Google translate and translate into English ?

The text that I have just has ‘Sign in to the My Cloud Home Duo Dashboard to configure the device and modify settings. You can sign in with your Western Digital Account or use a local password.’ which I think is not the same as your webpage ?

What happens if you click on the black button ‘Iniciar’

Can you try with Google Chrome (which is the same as my browser) ?

Also, the page that I go to is not /static/welcome but /static/login, are you able to get to that page ?

If I try to go to /static/welcome then it looks like it tries to go to a page similar to yours but before it reaches there it is redirected to /static/login.

Therefore try and get to page /static/login

Rip out the hard drive and plug it into any pc/laptop which is running linux.
Linux mint is easy to understand and can run from a USB stick (after downloading to it).
Hard drive will need a adaptor/external case to plug into USB port on laptop if not connected internally.

Hi nadim
I try with Chrome and it´s the same! Anyway WD just informs that all systems are back online. But now it gets more strange: after relaunch WD Discovery it says that my MCH is Offline! I try to reconnect it but it´s always the same.
I can enter the Web Page but it says Offline!!
Any advice? Thanks

Anyway WD just informs that all systems are back online

When I start WD Discovery from another PC (not connected via Local Access) I get a JavaScript error. I might need to re-install WD Discovery there. :roll_eyes:

For your issue, I would still try and get Local Access as WD Discovery may be unstable and I believe it will become unsupported after July 2023.

Hi nadim
At this point I´m not even think about the Local Access because I simply can´t access my MCH. It´s always Offline no matter what I do! I´m getting near a madness point! This thing works ok before the WD Systems going down! Now they say everything is back online, but my problem gets worse! I opened also a support ticket with WD and waiting for answers! Any more ideas to get MCH back online, like before? thanks for the support

Can you do a screenshot of your Network from Windows Explorer as in the picture attached of my system:

You should see your MYCLOUD device on there if it is within your network.

Secondly, I understand you do not wish to get Local Access running, but I am curious what you see if you type the following directly into your browser (please check the last 6 characters of your serial number are correct).

http://mycloud-jcel7p/static/login

Hi nadim

Here is my Network. I can see my device but that´s all. As I
Screenshot 2023-04-14 105923

said when I type http://mycloud-jcel7p/static/login I get the Mobile web page. But now I see that before appears very quickly another. It´s very fast but I manage to get a Screenshot.
Hope this two things help anyway. I´m totally stuck in a moment I should get my files back! What´s wrong? Thanks for your support

I do not understand why it needs you to go to the ‘Mobile’/Welcome page. It does not ask me to do that even if I try to go to this Welcome page. Its the reverse situation with your experience.

As your system is connected to the network, you can see if there is anything in this page which may be of help to you:

Otherwise I am not sure what to suggest

BTW - my Java error on WD Discovery has resolved itself and I can use it normally