My Cloud Home and SanDisk ibi - Important Update About Access To Your Files

Well, you either pay for a great service or you pay up front for hardware and then as we have seen here, you take your chances. I like the core idea of having my data reside on a physical drive within my reach at home or work which is why I gave WD cloud a chance, however I soon found out that it is not what I expected it to be because WD not only has access to my data, but also their severe security vulnerabilities affect my data too. Yes, google takes down products every now and then but only if they don’t reach their threshold of usage and G.Drive has been running both at personal and corporate levels for several years. Highly doubtful they will take it down and at less than $20 for 5T storage and incredibly fast streaming and retrieval (sometimes I can’t even tell if I am pulling media from my hard drive or Google drive, its so fast), it is really a bargain .
What I found disappointing with Mycloud was that I was entirely at the mercy of my ISP upload speeds which at 50 Mps is hardly enough for one person to be streaming from another network, let alone more than one at a time.
It all depends on how much one is planning to spend for their data storage and Yes, having an “Array Backup” is the only way to ensure data survival, so maybe IF AND WHEN WD decides its a good time to start working again, I will just use my MYCLOUD drive as a node on my backup array and not depend on it for data retrieval so much, given that I have already paid for it

Already done

I mostly agree; I would like to offer a few points;

• With cloud storage; you are NOT in physical possession of your data. If you are worried about someone snooping Data on your drives - - - - having the data physically on someone else’s drives should make your heart palpitate.

• The MCH is a bit of a flawed device. Kind of the Yugo of NAS units. I hate to see you judge the “data at home” solution based upon this unit. For starters. . . .no self-respecting NAS should need internet access to function. My NAS boxes (a few WD Cloud (not MCH) plus one competitor box) have zero access to the internet; and work just fine. (of course - - there is no cloud functionality since they don’t have net access). I do have a competitor NAS in the mix. . . . The music streamer is quite nice out of the box; and the file management tools are quite handy (basically; I have full blown GUI and have full drag/drop functionality without PC I/O or processor involvement)

• I hear you on the upload speed. 50Mbps? Hah. Good luck getting that in the US. Last year, I had a blazing 100Mbps down and 5Mbpbs up. Yes; seriously. Five. Paying extravagant money would have gotten me 20mbs up. My experience is to stream decent 2K content with high bit rate. . .I needed about 10mbs to make it work. SO - - - -that is definitely a problem. I will give you that. (PS: Just tested my connection: 85Mbpsdown; 12 Mbps up)

But bottom line: What WD is doing now - - - is not a good look. quite sad. You are not the only one that will seek different solutions I suspect :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Well, yes, everyone knows that already. The MCH hardware however pretends that you are in possession of your own data on your own hardware (otherwise why go through the expensive investment in hardware?). I like MCH because of its relative ease of implementation and incredibly low price point as compared to our other NAS drives that we use commercially.
This is where WD has not been entirely transparent with their customers. They effectively run a cloud service but they get them to spend money on their hardware too, giving people the idea that since the customer has their own hard drive at their own physical location, then they must also have full ownership of it, while WD as full access to their data and can’t even iron out their security gaps (this is the second major hack in less than 2 years at WD. They clearly learned nothing from the first breach).
Why doesn’t WD just sell Cloud services like everyone else without pushing this hardware nonsense? At least with a straight up cloud service cutometers get high speed access to their data and they KNOW exactly what they are signing up on:-)

LOL:-)
So does it work or not?:slight_smile:
My MCH is darn fast and reliable for any type of use, but only on local network access.
For me however the entire point of having access to my storage, is via remote connection since I travel around the world and don’t need to be carrying my data on various drives in my backpack. In fact I want “data access” to be the last thing on my mind. I prefer that I don’t even have to think about it, so I need secure access to my data that involves ZERO effort on my part and is kept in a safe location without every Tom, Rick and Harriet having access to it or leaving the connections wide open to security risks.
It also has to be a fast connection and since I am not planning to invest in my own global network enterprise, and I don’t want to pay in excess of $250 a month for a lightening fast upload connection (I am already on a Gigabit service at 1.5 Gbps download speed but my plan is limited to only 50Mps upload. Its a pretty good service for under $100 a month but to get high upload speeds , I’ll have to move on to their next plan which starts at $250 and that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon).
So NAS solutions will not work for me.
At $20 a month Google Cloud and its rock solid speeds and security, is for now the best solution to my needs, since sliced bread.
My MCH may eventually be used for local access only (not yet decided what I’ll be doing with it) and investing in other, high end NAS solutions at this time, is not going to be a very productive move.
Have a great day.

Well; I had OS/5 on a unit for about a year; and for about half that time; internet access was BLOCKED at the router level. After that period; I rolled the device back to the older OS/3 and put all the NAS boxes on a router that has no internet connection. They all work fine on a local network. Of course. . .the web functions do not work. (no internet connection). The only painful part is that to access the drives; I generally have to swap networks my PC’s are attached to. . .

Funny how people solve problems differently. My original use case was “worldwide NAS access”. Now, with 1TB SSD’s about 25% the size of a phone. . . and the ability to stream movies on multiple continents. . . . .I have gone back to “bringing it all with me”. (well. . .not all. . .but enough).

lol:-)
So you did a full circle, ha?
Actually lugging flash drives and SSDs works for a lot of people, but not me, because like I said, I want “data access” to not even be on my mind, so I am sure the first thing that will happen is for me to lose an expensive SSD with all my data on it, while I go through the TSA in some god forsaken airport on the other side of the planet
AAAND won’t know that I have even lost it, until a week later:-)
Carrying data for someone like me, is really a non-starter, my friend.

Well, right now any profits that they may have made selling hardware, is potentially going to be sunk into the bottomless pit of Torts and other litigation, once the details of this breach start to surface. But you have a point, it may make more sense to sell hardware instead of cloud subscriptions, even though I can’t right now see how .

I’m sorry, I don’t think you have read my post correctly. I said, I was able to set up local access by using my WD ID’s & passwords to gain access to it (2 Users)

[UPDATE]

So, following this advice, I managed to access the MCH via the Local access network. The problem I have now is, as I mentioned in my original post, I have 2 users registered to use the MCH, I am able to access my folder, but I cannot access the other users folder. No matter what combination of Local Access user names or passwords, I enter. I have even tried the main account password for the other user. I have used my Local access details and those of the other user but I cannot gain access.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

I think I have read in the instructions that EACH user should enable local access. That means that the other user must follow the same procedure to enable local access to his or her own files.

Did you make sure each user followed the procedure to enable local access as explained here? Instructions to Enable Local Network Access on a My Cloud Home, My Cloud Home Duo and SanDisk ibi

Glad to see Microsoft was of some help with their issues. A broken clock reads the correct time , twice every day too:-)
I was just trying to help with WD access. I don’t work for WD. Next time I’d be more careful. I promise:-)lol

Maybe I am not quite understanding this but the second user should have had their own credentials (id and password) when this thing was working correctly. Why not use those credentials to gain local access? This way each user will have local access to their own data.
OR it could be another Microsoft issue. Did you try their community sites?:slight_smile:

So - - - -If I understand correctly:

• You have two users of the MCH.
  • Each user has different credentials.
  • Both users are trying to access data using the same windows PC?

If that is the case - - > You will run into a Windoz problem.
Windows Credential manager does not like (i.e. will not permit) two sets of credentials to be valid for a single network resource. It might work if the two users are using separate microsoft accounts (have not tried this).

To "get yourself straight* you can go into credentials manager and delete references to the MCH. Then, it will prompt you to log in again. (this doesn’t fix the underlying problem)

Guilty as charged. I went full circle.

For me - - - > The “world wide access” was becoming an IT headache.
And the SSD’s came down in price to something reasonable - so back to portability for simplicity!

To be clear; I always backup the drives before a trip.
Never want to run back into a burning building for stupid hard drive.
When travelling; I do nightly backups of cameras and whatnot to SSD’s - - > Not worried about room robbed and mugged in the street on the same day.

Edit: Extraneous personal detail removed

Thanks for your reply. However, as I stated as a not in my original post, I did follow the procedure for the both users, myself and the other user. It has since been stated to me it is a Windows Credentials issue, which I found out prior to reading the reply from another forum user here

Thanks for your reply, however, as I have followed all the WD advice to the letter, it was a Microsoft issue, the forum user NAS_user explained. This

Thanks for your reply. Prior to receiving your reply, I found this It wasn’t then until I read your reply I was able to understand why I wasn’t able to access both accounts, that of mine and my daughters, on the same PC. I’m currently removing all of her stuff before I remove mine and reset or bin this thing.

I think I’ll be able to follow the “Credentials” process again, once I have dealt with her data, then log in to my own and deal with mine.

Really appreciate your advice because it certainly hadn’t/wasn’t and might not ever come from WD and even on the Microsoft page I found it wasn’t explained about 2 account. So, once again, thank you

To be clear; it’s not the share that is creating the problem - - → It’s the second set of credentials.

Most normal NAS units - - → you can assign as many users as you want to the two shares.
So if start with “User A” has Share 1; and “User B” has share 2;
You can assign full permissions for both Share “1” and Share “2” to “User A”

Then, if you can access BOTH shares as “User A”; and call it a day without moving any data. Windows won’t care as long as the same credentials are used for both shares.

(I know OS3, OS5 and a few competitors allow this; I do not know if MCH allows share assignments to multiple users)

If I studied that as a vocation, I still wouldn’t be able to understand that. I’ll just stumble through, then throw this thing in the bin if I can’t take out the HDD and use it again. I’ve created a post asking that. Hopefully someone can advise me because too much of this goes over my head

You and I both.
Most people don’t want to be computer scientists to use a darn drive, and Microsoft doesn’t make it any easier, which is where Google shines with everything that they do. Even my pet goldfish can set up Chrome Book or an android phone or tab and connect to everything they need to connect to without even knowing they are doing it:-)

I just, in hindsight, made the mistake of buying this MCH, to get away from using Cloud Storage. I’d rather my “own cloud” but by God, MCH wasn’t the answer. I just want to know if I reset the thing now, am I able to remove the HDD and shove it in a Synology enclosure :man_shrugging: