My Cloud HDD with raspberry Pi?

Hi there guys… lately i am starting to have some troubles with my 4TB My Cloud and I have to restart it, or do factory reset and other problems… and because I am getting tired of it all I wonder… is there any way where i would skip (took the original motherboard out of the HDD) the My Cloud OS and connect the HDD straight to the Raspberry Pi (where would be preinstalled something like OpenMediaVault) without actually loosing all my data on it?

Don’t know about the Ras Pi, but the OS on the My Cloud hard drive is a flavor of Debian (Linux) and the data partition containing all user files is the 4th partition (of eight partitions on the hard drive) and is formatted for EXT4. That fourth partition can be accessed from a Linux OS or any OS that can read the EXT4 format.

1 Like

so basically I should be able to mount the HDD in any linux and use it without loosing anything right?:smile: which brings me to other question… is it actually possible to bypass the My Cloud OS and use the HDD with Raspberry Pi, without taking the original motherboard off? because now when I think about it I would have to get external power and cable to connect Ras Pi to the HDD which would be too much hassle…

EDIT: what I want to do is run OS which would take care of DLNA\FTP\SSH etc on raspberry Pi connected to the 4TB HDD so everything runs smooth without the need of restart every few days and with better support

A colleague uses an RPi as a DLNA media server, with two 2TB USB drives connected to it. I’ll dig out the details tomorrow.

1 Like

it would be amazing :slight_smile: now when I Think about it the main problem is to connect the MY Cloud HDD to the raspberry… i mean i could probably use some kind of SATA to USB adapter(I wonder it the HDD could actually be powered through the USB via raspberry) but id would have to take it out of the case which I am not really big fan of… :slight_smile:

wow so many questions :smiley:

No its not possible to bypass the My Cloud OS without removing the circuit board containing the NAS hardware from the hard drive. Most who do remove the hard drive either connect that hard drive to an SATA port on their computer or to a external SATA enclosure/docking station.

It should be noted that opening up the My Cloud enclosure will most likely violate the device’s warrantee.

Not that I recommend doing this or that it would even work, but one could do one of two things. If for some reason the OS on the My Cloud has become corrupted one could follow one of the unbricking guides and push the root, kernel, config img files to their respective hard drive partitions to see if that will fix what ever issues were present. The other if one is dead set on connecting the drive to another device like the Ras Pi is to use Gparted to modify and expand the existing partition #4 containing the user data and remove the other partitions so the user data partition is the sole partition on the hard drive and occupies all the space.

1 Like

I did the unbricking twice already… also the disk is out of warranty so i am not really bound by that…

so I would have to take it out… buy another docking station and connect it to the Ras Pi externally… which sounds like more work than i thought it will be…

I guess i will have to get Ras Pi and play with it for few days :smiley: :slight_smile:

quote from colleague:

RPi has USB sockets, but no SATA. But you can buy IDE/SATA to USB adaptors very cheaply (I paid ~£3.50, delivered from China…).

RaspBMC is a port of XBMC (now Kodi) to the RPi. It is a full media system, providing Digital Media Server, Digital Media Controller and Digital Media Renderer. It exposes its DMS as a DLNA media server, and its DMR as a renderer (meaning you can stream from its server, and stream to its renderer).

There is a ‘clone’ of the RPi, though, called the BananaPi. It has a SATA connector and Gigbit Ethernet. It’s not an official product of the RPi foundation, but a Chinese version, also open source.

1 Like

i did a little bit of research and i would have to get docking station as RPi is not capable of powering the HDD via USB… with that and SATA to USB cable it would be pretty easy job to do :smile:

Never heard of Banana Pi, but after quick google search it looks like its faster and better than RPi! i might go with that… thank you for the info :slight_smile:

I don’t know how old you My Cloud is but if it is in the guarantee SEND IT BACK.

@JohnBM:

1 Like