My Cloud Gen2 Broken

hi, i think i’ve broken my device, and i need help. the device’s front LED is not turning on, the HDD is not powering on, and the Ethernet light is blinking ( like a blink every second ) and the device is not making an ethernet connection, ive tried booting via USB and failed, even the light on the USB drive is not turning on, i have a PL2303 USB to UART, bu dont know how to use it, any help is much appriciated, thanks :slight_smile:

You could have a bad or failing power supply. Other things to check. extract the hard drive from the My Cloud enclosure and connect it, using a powered USB to SATA adapter (or SATA docking station, or spare SATA port) to another computer that is running Linux or a Linux driver (for Windows) to see if you can read the hard drive and it’s contents. Could be the drive failed. If the drive has failed there are various methods to β€œunbrick” a drive to work in a second gen single bay My Cloud enclosure. User Fox_Exe has one method that many have used.
https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt
https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/

@hoomannejadi
Why did you stay with OS3 instead of going to OS5?

Power Adapters for Western Digital Products (wd.com)

thank you for the reply, i think the powe adapter is ok, because i can turn on my modem with it. and the HDD is ok, i have exracted my data, and tried an unbrick solution, but the problem is, the logic board is not booting up, i think if there is a firmware issue with the board, as i said , i have an USB to UART converter, but i dont know how to use it.

my device has been broken for a while now, i nevet got the chance to test the OS5, if i can get it to work again, i will give OS5 a try.

The best way to check the power supply is use a volt meter to check the output values against what it is supposed to be delivering, Your modem could draw different )possibly less) current than the My Cloud and it’s 3.5 inch hard drive.

i dont think if the adapter is the issue, not only the HDD is not powering up, the LED on the USB drive is not powering up. i finally managed to get the USB to UART to work, but it is showing unreadable characters, checked the speed, stop bit, flow control, data bits, all correct… this is what i get"0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’σ²“Ÿβ–’2β–’β–’ β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’πΆΆ²β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’π°Ά²0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’ςž“³β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’ς’²²β–’β–’ β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’ςƒ°€β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’&β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’π°‚‚β–’β–’σ’ž›β–’ β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’ς²›’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’σ²²²β–’β–’β–’β–’ς’ŸŸβ–’0 β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’σΆ›“β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’3β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’0β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’2β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’ β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’β–’"