My Cloud EX2

Am I correct that a WD 4TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS has 2 2TB drives and in order to get 4TB of storage, I give up backup capability? If I want 4TB of storage with 100% backup, I must purchase an 8TB EX2?

Basically correct.

Raid 0 – - - Data “stripped” across both drives; for fast response. Either drive dies - - > all data gone.

• Capacity: 2TB + 2TB = 4TB

Raid 1 - - - Data mirrored on the two drives. One drive dies - - → All data lives on other drive. Life is
good.

• Capacity 2TB on two identical drives = 2 TB

JBOD- – - Just a Bunch Of Disks - - - Both drives appear as distinct drives in your network. One drive dies - - > You lose all the data on that drive. The other drive will be fine.

• Capacity 2TB on one drive, 2TB on other drive - 4 TB

By default, an EX2 will be configured for Raid 1 (2TB) out of the box. Flick of a button (which results in a data wipe) to switch configuration.

Note: No such thing as 100% backup.

• A “box” with Raid 1 only protects you against “drive failure” - - - call it 98% effective. (because there are ways a single bad drive will goober everything).
  • Raid 1 will not protect against “box failure”. If the box goes. . .you are looking at some form of data recover.
  • Want to improve your odds regarding data protection? Make a backup on another physical device. Now you only have to worry about things like “Fire”, Flood and “Theft”.
  • Want to step it up? Take your physical backup, and move it to another state.
  • Want to step it up? Consider cloud storage. Cloud storage is only one method of backup. See what happens if you miss a payment. Or if lose the password. Or if the company decides it doesn’t want to store data anymore (looking at you google)

What do I do as super paranoid?

• Day-to-day data lives on a few 1TB SSD’s
  • Regular backup to a NAS
  • Regular backkup to an external drive in my house (Drive periodically “shelved” as an “archive”)
  • Not regular backup to an external drive that is stored in another house.
2 Likes