My Cloud EX2 Ultra - starting to regret this purchase

Second time in three weeks that my EX2 ‘loses’ it’s connectivity and I am unable to access it from within my home LAN and I need to re-boot it (which means - physically disconnect it from the power). Totally unreliable product that I cannot 100% depend on.

1 Like

Double check your network connectivity – Make sure the cables are firmly seated and maybe even try a different one.

Make sure your firmware is up to date.

I’ve had an EX4 for many years now (runs the same software as the EX2) – I’ve never once had it go AWOL.

I have the exact same experience, and I am getting pretty annoyed as there is no instruction in the manual for this, nor to be found online. I purchased mine 2 days ago, and while this is my 3rd WD NAS, this seems to be the most disappointing one. I am actually getting ready to send it back, and to purchase a different brand. How did you fix your probs?

For anyone questioning: excellent internet connectivity, firmware is up-to-date, as is my MBP (1 year old) on OS Mojave.

@sbi @mauricebakker have you contacted support?
If not, please open a support case and provide the My Cloud EX2 Ultra System logs. I’ll also forward this thread and have someone private message you.

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

I have the latest firmware (although I had to search for and install it manually as the NAS fails to connect to search for a firmware). My LAN connection in the house is perfect, no issues at all. When I “reboot” the device, meaning unplugging from power, it works fine for a week or so, although it is slower than it was before (when I click the NAS mapped folder in windows explorer, it takes a few seconds for content to show up, as if it’s waking the NAS up. ). It also takes forever for me to be able to login through a browser (see below).

NAS1

It just takes forever.

@sbi have you contacted support? If not, please do so and provide the system logs as previously requested.

This just happened again. I was on the road, needed to access my files and was not able to.
I logged in to a pc at home through Teamviewer to see if I can access on the LAN - sure enough, same problem, can’t even access through the LAN.
Clearly there is no problem with my LAN because I can always access it from outside the house with Teamviewer. It’s constantly on and I can always access it.

So, as I said before - this NAS turns out to be an unreliable system.

And yes, I just opened a case with support.

Hello,

I opened a case with support this morning.
The only solution when the problem is re-created is to unplug the EX2 Ultra from power and then re-connect, forcing a hard boot.

Thank you.

Update:

So I turned off Sleep function and it seems like there have not been additional occurrences of the NAS disconnecting. This of course defeats the purpose of being able to save energy and allow the system to sleep.

This is ridiculous. My Cloud EX2 “ultra” (feeling the sarcasm?) is basically ‘shutting down’ 3-4 days after a reboot, making it inaccessible, unusable. Just a piece of junk sitting on the shelf and collecting dust.

1 Like