My Cloud Drive Not Working

I have WD My Cloud 4TB NAS Cloud Storage, was working till yesterday evening. After sometime when i try to access the drive it doesn’t turned up instead the LED color of the drive changed to RED.

The following faults trigger this state:

• Disk SMART failure

• Data volume does not exist

• System volume does not exist

• System thermal shutdown (75° C)

The above points are mentioned in the WD Manual and have performed but no luck.

1. Have tried the basic troubleshooting of pressing the reset button for 10 seconds and nothing changes.

2. Next i tried the 40 seconds reset method as mentioned in the WD Support Page but the LED light stays on “Full White”. for more than 6 hours.

Why there is no Local Service Center for WD Products? Without After Sales Service this is product is no good.

I would appreciate an expert help and solution to this situation.

Thanks

prathaprabhu

Why there is no Local Service Center for WD Products? Without After Sales Service this is product is no good.

Not quite sure what you mean by a ‘local service centre’, but here’s the ‘Support By Country’, found by two clicks from the forum homepage (‘Knowledge Base/Support by Country’).

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

The red LED may well indicate that the hard drive has failed.

Red means hard drive failure but what is the solution to recover the data. Customer support told me that there is no service centre to atleast open the drive and check the basic troubleshooting hardware. They can only replace the drive with this condition. I am really disappointed that Western Digital doesn’t repair the device.

Thanks

If my system got the red light.  I would get the disk out of the My Cloud and hook it

up to a pc running linux and see if the drive is really bad.

RAC

1 Like

rac8006 wrote:

If my system got the red light.  I would get the disk out of the My Cloud and hook it

up to a pc running linux and see if the drive is really bad.

RAC

If perhaps you don’t have a PC running Linux, then one can always download a DVD version of Linux that is bootable

The idea was to have a system that was able to mount the disk.  I’m not sure that  red light means the disk is dead.

Because what turns the led red?

RAC

what is the solution to recover the data.

The same as it is with any other hard disk failure: replace the failed disk, and revert to your backup data.  Or, if you haven’t got a backup, pay a professional recovery service to try to recover the data off the failed disk.

ALL hard drives can fail at ANY time.  Therefore it is essential that you maintain a backup, unless you use a redundant array of some kind. The basic MyCloud has no redundancy.

I am really disappointed that Western Digital doesn’t repair the device.

I’m no WD apologist, but this approach is taken by all consumer hard disk manufacturers that I know of; hard disks are considered non-repairable*, and rely on the user performing regular backup operations. If the drive fails within warranty, the drive is replaced, but the warranty does not cover data recovery.

* Because data recovery is difficult and expensive, and there are so many potential causes of device failure that are not due to an inherent fault in the device (shock and other environmental issues, in particular) that it is unreasonable to expect the manufacturer to have to offer data recovery as part of the warranty, IMHO. I think that in consumer law, loss of data is considered a ‘consequential loss’, which is generally excluded from warranty terms. For example:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=warranty+consequential+loss+disk+drive

The approach suggested by rac8006 is certainly a good start: check that it’s the HDD that has failed, and not the controller board.

Unfortunately that is the problem with this type of HDD, you don’t know what is causing this issue I am not convinced that the disk is really dead.