My Cloud Bricked

Hello, Is it possible to have a clone image (ghost / acronis) of a new WD mycloud.

Like this it can be easier to restore the hdd.

Thank you,

Andrea

Yeah, but you’d have to void your warranty to do it because you’d have to remove the drive from the enclosure.

I doubt Acronis or Ghost will work (Ghost doesn’t work with volumes larger than 1TB – I learned that the hard way.)   Neither Acronis nor Ghost do actual “clones.”  You need a drive as larger or larger than the source to do a clone, because it’s a sector-by-sector copy, including even the unused space.

Whatever program you use must work on multiple partitions and support EXT3/EXT4 file systems.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, but you’d have to void your warranty to do it because you’d have to remove the drive from the enclosure.

I doubt Acronis or Ghost will work (Ghost doesn’t work with volumes larger than 1TB – I learned that the hard way.)   Neither Acronis nor Ghost do actual “clones.”  You need a drive as larger or larger than the source to do a clone, because it’s a sector-by-sector copy, including even the unused space.

Whatever program you use must work on multiple partitions and support EXT3/EXT4 file systems.

Your mention of that Ghost 1 TB limitation causes me some concern. I can only imagine what trials and tribulations you went thru to find out something “the hard way”. You didn’t mention for what version of Ghost that 1 TB limitation applies. I’ve been using Symantic Ghost Ver 11.5.1.2266 dated 24 Dec 2009 to back up WinXP drives and I’ve never had a problem with it. However all the drives I’ve backed-up have all been 1 TB or less. I’ve only been using the 32 bit version of Ghost (I’m still on WinXP 32 bit but I will be migrating to Win7 64 bit within the next few weeks) and I was wondering if that 1 TB limitation applies to that version of Ghost in the 64 bit version. I understand that even though it is now going on 4 years old it is still the latest Ghost version. Am I out of luck should I want to backup a Windows 7 drive that is larger than 1 TB? Sorry that this is drifting off a pure WD topic.

AFAIK, *all* versions of Ghost have the limitation.   It will happily BACK UP volumes larger than 1TB.

The problem is that it will not RESTORE backup sets of volumes that are larger than 1TB.   

As a result, I no longer use Ghost.  Now I use Acronis TrueImage, and I’ve yet to have to test it.

Version 11 is pretty old.    I have Version 15.   Prior to that I used Norton Save & Restore (which used the same backend software as Ghost) on Windows XP.

Version 15 was required for Win 7 support.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer guys.

So is it a solution to reinstall a mycloud from scratch ?

Thanks a lot.

Can you ssh into the “bricked” MyCloud?

I have successfully been able to restore to factory even when I hosed up my UI (by upgrading php5 and some other pkgs)

The key is to use some of the scripts to restore it…

You should make a guide about that, to help others :slight_smile:

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

But my Wd My cloud is completly bricked, so it didn’t receive an IP adress → No SSH.

The only way to restore it, is to connect the HDD by an “HDD to USB” and do a complete reinstallation.

I’ve seen there is a tuto on the web for my live book, but not yet for the mycloud.

If the ssh was working, it was easier to re-install it :smiley:

So anybody esle has a solution ?

Thank you