My Cloud and Roku

Has anyone been able to stream from the My Cloud to a Roku?

Thanks - Todd

NO ONE will be able to do that directly, since Roku doesn’t support DLNA … which means Roku doesn’t work with ANY DLNA/NAS directly.  

But it can be done indirectly by any number of media servers for which Roku has “channels” such as Plex.

You should also be able to stream to the Roku with the Twonky Beam channel installed to enable DLNA, and the Twonky Beam app on mobile devices.  I do it all the time from my drives that are connected so they are seen as “servers” (e.g internal PC drives, and Pogoplug drives).  Can’t do this with shared drive links (e.g. drives connected to a PC via USB or to a WD media player.)

Any luck with this? I really want this Drive but I really want it to stream my video colleciton to my Roku player.

This works when using Plex Media Server. I just installed My Cloud; moved over my media (movies and tv shows); and have tested Plex across Roku, 2 PCs, Android phone, and Android tablet. Also moved files to/from Android phone “to the cloud.” WD customer (free “concierge”) service was also very HELPFUL. I pulled out Seagate/Memeo backup solution that stopped working. 2 days in with WD; highly recommended.

atalba wrote:

This works when using Plex Media Server. I just installed My Cloud; moved over my media (movies and tv shows); and have tested Plex across Roku, 2 PCs, Android phone, and Android tablet. Also moved files to/from Android phone “to the cloud.” WD customer (free “concierge”) service was also very HELPFUL. I pulled out Seagate/Memeo backup solution that stopped working. 2 days in with WD; highly recommended.

So where have you installed plex media server? 

I have PMS on PC server with media on WD My Cloud. I undertand PMS cannot be installed directly on the drive, and I thought he was asking if media can be streamed from the WD My Cloud. If not, I misunderstood.

can you email me instructions on how to do this.  i have plex running on pc and the my wd cloud set up but i cant get the media on the cloud to show up on the plex server…arg…

Yes using Roku Media Player Channel you can now stream from WD Book Live without the PC being on!!!

yes it does work as i have done it my self…

Can someone please tell me how to get my cloud to work on 

roku. it works when it is on my home network but now that I’m on vacation and would like to use it it does not see my cloud. The only notification I received is cannot see the server. I think it means the address where my cloud is.

I have no idea what that means.

Thank you

Bob

44485 wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to get my cloud to work on roku … now that I’m on vacation and would like to use it it does not see my cloud.

You can’t.  The Roku will only stream from local DLNA servers – not ones out on the internet.

Hi,

So what did you have to do to make your movies on your NAS playable on the ROKU?  Did you simply plug it in and the ROKU media player saw it right off the bat?  I have little to no experience with networking so please use small words.  Thanks.

NickHale wrote:

Hi,

So what did you have to do to make your movies on your NAS playable on the ROKU?  Did you simply plug it in and the ROKU media player saw it right off the bat?  I have little to no experience with networking so please use small words.  Thanks.

Well, basically, yeah, that’s it…

Well based on what i read on here I went ahead and bought one.  It set up so easy that even I could do it.  The videos tranferred as they should but it is galacially slow but, hey, I have time.  Photos too.  Next is the itunes library.  Thanks for all the help and info.

arroncop wrote:

can you email me instructions on how to do this.  i have plex running on pc and the my wd cloud set up but i cant get the media on the cloud to show up on the plex server…arg…

I am also have problems.  I was able to see my media in Plex when it was onm the PC but as soon as I moved it to the My Cloud it shows up but it is vied as not playable.  I even moved the media back to my PC and it still says that.  I would also love to get instructions on how to use Plex with media on My Cloud.  I have tried mapping locations to look to the mapped network drive but that seems to not work.  Any help with instructions would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Thank you for this tip!  Worked great both on a 1st gen Roku and a Roku 2 (Specifically using the Roku Media Player Channel - spotted and accessed my WD My Cloud right away, no muss, no fuss.  

I was previously not able to make Plex work, probably because of my router…

RA_AU_02 wrote:> I am also have problems.  I was able to see my media in Plex when it was onm the PC but as soon as I moved it to the My Cloud it shows up but it is vied as not playable.  I even moved the media back to my PC and it still says that.  I would also love to get instructions on how to use Plex with media on My Cloud.  I have tried mapping locations to look to the mapped network drive but that seems to not work.  Any help with instructions would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

That is because Plex was transcoding your movies into a format that the Roku requires.  Videos have to be in a certain format to be played through the Roku.  When you use Plex or Serviio or other similar media server, if the movie format is not compatible with Roku, it will transcode the movie into a format that can be played.  The WD My Cloud does NOT transcode movies when serving them, so you must convert the movies to the correct format for Roku on your own, and then put them on the WD My Cloud.