My Cloud 5 + New User Password

Reposting in the EX series forum:

I’m not new to networking, but am new to the WD My Cloud NAS. I have an EX2 Ultra and have only seen it run on OS5. I want to use it as a NAS on a local network, with several users having a private folder to keep backups in. However, I can’t seem to figure out how to get a user to assign their own password. I can setup a user and assign them a password, but then I know the password.

A MyCloud account doesn’t seem to help.

According to [THIS PAGE] I should see this (My Cloud OS 5 Online User Manual)

Please be aware that this is off of the ‘Users’ page and not the ‘Cloud Access’ page. The Note under point #3 does not apply here. I have tested this and the user can setup their own password for cloud access, but the password I assign still applies to their access via a file browser/network connection. I believe the user manual online also states this, but I can’t find it currently.

Instead I see this, with the place missing to send an email to the user to set their own password.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 143423

Is this a glitch, or am I missing something?

I want users to be able to configure their own passwords, without me knowing it. There has to be a way. It’s folder sharing 101.

Thanks

Hi @Macnrayna,

Please see the following article on how to reset a Western Digital Account password:

# My Cloud OS 5, My Cloud Home, EdgeRover: How to Reset Western Digital Account Password

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32163

If further assistance is needed, please open a case with our support team at the following:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/askweb

Thanks for the advice. However, from my experience changing the cloud password does not seem to change the local area users, password. They don’t seem to be one in the same.

I want individual users to be able to set their own Local Area Users passsord, independent of my administrative input. However, there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that, in spite of the manual saying there is.

1 Like