My Book World Edition installation software for Windows 7

I intalled the software onto my laptop with Vista.  Everything works great.  It’s been awhile before I tried to install the software onto my new desktop computer with Windows 7.  The function buttons won’t be picked up when installation disc inserted so I can’t intall software onto brand new desktop.  I can’t find any downloads from WD to install onto a Windows 7 operating system. 

Please advise or hook me up with the proper intallations software for Windows 7

thank you,  James Neuber

Which kind of drive do you have?

What are you trying to do with the software?  (i.e., just seeing the drive on the network versus automating backups)

my drive is the 2 TB My Book World Edition.  I want the software to load onto my desktop so I can set up the automatic back up.

I also am struggling to get a Windows 7 version of software as i cannot configure my new book world 2 TB drive…the discovery software also doesnt work.

Any suggestions on how to get a windows 7 version?

I have exactly the same problem

I have the 1 Tb white-light version.  The installation CD will not run.  The NAS drive is visible in Windows Networks.

If I run what appears to be the setup software from the Windows folder on the CD (instead of setup in the root folder) it does run, but none of the buttons are populated with any text.  I have run the Discovery software directly from the Discovery folder, and also downloaded a version of the same software from WDs website.  All I get with both versions is a message saying that it cannot find any network drives.

Is this a Windows 7 compatibility problem (I have the 64bit version) and, if so, is there a W7 version of the installation disk that can be downloaded?

I also have exactly the same problem

I have the 1 Tb white-light version.  The installation CD will not run on a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home premium .  The NAS drive is visible in Windows Networks and I can access files.

If I run what appears to be the setup software from the Windows folder on the CD (instead of setup in the root folder) it does run, but none of the buttons are populated with any text. 

I previously set this up on my old laptop running XP with no problems.

Is this a Windows 7 compatibility problem if so, is there a W7 version of the installation disk that can be downloaded?

This must be a Windows 7 compatibility problem.

1   I now have a second 1TB World Edition.  This time the box was clearly marked with Windows 7 being a compatible option (Windows 7 was not listed on the box of my original MB WE)

2  It will not install.  Identical problems to first MB WE.  Software is v1.1 (the same), so all that has happened is that they have updated the packaging.

3  I installed it using my daughter’s Vista system.  It installed perfectly first time.

3  Here’s the proof as far as I’m concerned.  I also bought a new laptop for my son.  W7, 64 bit,  this time a HP AMD system, my laptop is Toshiba Intel.  Doesn’t work.  Identical problems right at the beginning with WDSetup.exe not being able to display box text, and the MBWE being undiscoverable.  This is a brand new, unused laptop with default settings.

So… two completely different Wy systems with identical problems, these problems being identical to those listed in this thread, but both MBWEs work first time with Vista.

Can’t see any alternative but to take them back to the shop and get my money back.  Doesn’t do what it says on the box!!!

I am with u mate, will take mine back 2 shop

I had issues installing on my windows 7 machine. had to DL the installer off the WD site. If i used the CD all teh buttons were blank. Only issues im having now is the drive will not go into power saving mode. If i can find the box today its going back.

Not sure I could be more unimpressed.

Just plugged one in and got the same issues as above. Doesn’t really inspire confidence.By blindly clicking around I have got it installed but even then it’s not mapped the drives it said it had (Y and Z). I’m running W7 64 bit.

One of the install screens doesn’t even fit on my display - I know I’m running at 720p but it’s a Media Centre machine and I would expect input dialogs to cope with variable-resolution displays these days.

Might end up taking it back but will search around for updated software first. This is literally my first visit to this site - do WD reps read what’s here at all?

I am now getting the same problem with my Windows Vista laptop.  I had the My Book World Edition installed just fine a few months ago.  We moved and am trying to reinstall it on my new network and am getting the “undefined” buttons from the installation CD.

Called WD and they are suppose to be sending me a new CD.  Though I don’t see how that is going to help since this is the CD that loaded fine before.  I also downloaded their CD software and it is failing as well.

I have the same problem. Just received my system and I can’t read the text on the buttons on the CD. I’m running windows XP.

Hi there, 

I also experienced similar problems. I registered my drive and downloaded the applications

from the website. Turns out the software that comes with the CD is not compatible with Win 7.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to come back and accept as a solution if this solves your issue, this might help other people :smiley:

Had been using the network drive for quite awhile with XP.  I loaded Win 7 and saw the same results as posted here. I downloaded the WD Discovery program from the WD site and it said it could not find any devices when it ran.  I changed the settings to the Discover program to run in XP SP 2 compatability mode and it did run and find my drive.  Ran the mapping but I’m not sure that worked.

I have noticed that if I select Network from File Manager I see the drive listed under Storage.  If I double-click I can see the file shares and can then map y: and z: to Public and Downloads by right-clicking.

I haven’t tried the backup software but that’s next on my list of Win 7 upgrade tasks.

HI

I loaded the WD backup software which I downloaded and it seems to be working fine.  I also verified that the drive mapping from the WD Discovery software is working as well.  So far so good.